Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 New Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. 4" Barrel >

New Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. 4" Barrel

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. 4" Barrel

Old 06-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. 4" Barrel

I've been looking for a well designed, well built large bore revolver to take with me as a backup, self-defense sidearm where we hunt Elk on the edge of big bear country of NW WY in the fall.
I'm looking real hard at this new Ruger dbl action Redhawk .44 Mag. 4" barrel and Hogue grips on it. The reviews I've read online and in Handgun magazine have been very positive. They say it's one of the strongest revolver designed to handle both standard .44 Mag. and the heavier loads of 320 grain bullets and power behind it.
This was one of the reviews that seems very thorough and well tested from an admitted skeptic:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Redhawk4.htm
I'd be interested to know if anyone has opportunity to use or own this particular model KRH-444 Redhawhawk .44 Mag 4".
Old 06-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Default RE: New Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. 4" Barrel

I haven't got to shoot one yet but I too have heard nothing but the most positive of reviews, saying they outdone themselves. a Ruger wheelgun can't be beaten to begin with and this seems to enforce that. i'm going to buy one sometime late this year.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a bunch of redhawks over the years and they still remain my all time favorite ruger double action. The thing I like redhawk over superredhawk is redhawk has different lockwork-1 spring that serves both as a mainspring and trigger return springs. What this means is they have smoother,lighter double action triggerpull compared to more conventional double action revolvers. I can honestly state that I've NEVER seen a bad redhawk.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Stalkingbear. Thanks for that info. I have had a lot of Ruger handguns of all flavors but I didn't know that difference between the RedHawks. I have the Bisley SBH Hunter which I really like but the longer barrel makes it a bit more awkward to carry. However its Hell for strong.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

My Redhawk has the 71/2 inch barrel and it's awesome. Handles all loads well and is a pleasure to shoot and it's even better since I put Hogue rubber grips on it.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's good to hear others have good experience with Redhawks in general. For the purpose I'm mainly looking to carry it for, I like this 4" barrel. They say it's a very strong frame and mechanism for locking the cylinder at 3 points.
I was visiting a gun store last night and where they had one. It's a nice feeling, natural aiming handgun. I submitted the paper work to get a purchase permit today. I'm kinda excited to get a chance to get it and take it out to the target range.
They also have the "Utah carry" permit training at the same place this week that MN and many other states have reciprocal agreements. Laws here for handgun ownship and use have changed considerably since I last purchased one. So, figured I should get up to speed on them.
Thanks all!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Redhawks are fine revolvers. And the 4" with 300 gr bullets will surely get a bear's attention. But IMO, if a bear was hell bent on getting me, my elk rifle would probalbly do a better job of stopping him than the .44 mag. On the other hand, if it was gnawing on my arm, the .44 could come in real handy. But even better medicine would be the S&W 500 with a short barrel like the 500ES.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko, I agree. If I felt there was a genuine threat from a bear and it was still at a range that I could use my .300 WM with the scope, that would be my first choice. But if it came to a point where I was in close quarters with such an animal and my rifle wasn't an option anymore, I want a backup plan and sidearm that I could use.
Before any of that, before heading into country with such animals, I look to the Creator of us all and the animals for grace,strength and help to deal with any situations, above all else.
Thank you.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 PM

MinnFinn:

I own the KRH444, couldn't be happier with it. Easy to pack, got a good holster from DeSantis for it. I live in Grizzly country and like to hike the back trails. I carry a Marlin 450 as primary and use the Ruger as backup. It's well made, heavy duty and one of the few handguns that will shoot Garrett ammo. I chamber the Garrett Hammerhead 330 gr. hard cast bullet. Said to be able to penetrate a Grizzlies skull and continue to penetrate as far as the bears hips, breaking bone along the way...Make no mistake, this is serious ammo for a serious handgun!

Hope I could help.....................

Old 07-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still have a couple Redhawks. I had a Redhawk in 41 mag and stupidly traded it off. I still have a discontinuedRedhawk 5 1/2" 357 mag and a 7 1/2" 44 mag. All have shot extremely well. I did have a problem with my 44 mag after owning if for 10 years or more.It would shoot way left and the rear sight wasall the way to the right.Ruger even though it was a older model theyreplaced the barrel,crane,cylinder and misc parts.All at N/C.It shoots great now. I highly recommend a Redhawk.If there is a problem Ruger stands behind it. I haven't fired a 4" yet.I wouldn't mind having one though.

Quick Reply: New Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. 4" Barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.