Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

CZ 527 Varmint ?

Old 01-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default CZ 527 Varmint ?

While returning home from a hunting trip recently I stopped insporting goods store just to check it out. While at the gun counter I saw a rifle that caught my eye, it was a CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar 204 Ruger. While not really needing a varmint gun or familular with the CZ line, this little Mauser actioned rifle intrigued me, the fit and finish was good, the stock is an HS Precission, the medium varmint taper barrel is 24" and is a 5 shot repeater chambered in 204 Ruger. Has anyone had experince with this particular rifle, I do read and hear of the rimfire 452 series are good shooters. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CZ 527 Varmint ?

The only problems I've seen out of them is bolt movement/travel being rough. You can easily hand lap the bolt to silky smoothness. One feature I really like about them is the single set trigger.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Bear

I have checked with a couple of people I know that have them and on some other forums and they all are positive about the CZ. I went ahead and purchased it and a scope along with all the goodies to handload the little 204 Ruger. If the weather gets better I should be able to go out and shoot it this week. I will try to post the results.

Here's a pic of my toy........

Old 01-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have good taste in toys!

Congrats on a heckuva weapon!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

You sure don’t fool around do you. Looks like a very good set up. I sure like that choice of optics...
Old 01-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

I had a chance to shoot a few loads through the CZ 527 over the weekend. I like this little rifle, the fit and finish are great, the regular trigger breaks at a crisp 3 lbs andtheset triggerat 12 oz. While the accuracy was either very good or very bad I did manage to get a couple of loads that show promise.

This 100 yard 5 shot group used a Hornady 40 gr V-Maxand Hodgdon Varget along with a Fed 205M which yielded a little over .400"

This group was shotwith a 32 gr Sierra and AA-2015. The flyer was my first shot and the next 4 rounds nestled into 1/4".

I am in the early stages of load development with this CZ and the 204 Ruger. I am going to try a few more powders and bullet combinations and see what happens. The accuracy potential is there, now I need to settle down and find a load whichs shoots consistently
Old 01-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, 12 oz set trigger. That seems like an awesome rifle, congrats!! I want one in .243
Old 02-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Well to continue my evaluation of this CZ 527, I loaded some loads and was able to shoot them super bowl Sunday. I used the same load as the top picture (40 gr V Max) and also 3 more that went up in powder charges with .3 gr increments. To my disappointment the groups opened up considerably with them so it looks like I will have to settle with the original load.

Here is another example of that particular load....40 gr V Max and Varget 5 shots@100 yds.350"

Here is a new load that I tried, it's using a Sierra 32 gr and Varget powder, unlike the previous load this one group better by going up in the powder charge. Like before I went with .3 gr increments and this load is right at book max.
5 shots@100yds .450"

One of these days I need to do some chronographing of these and see what they are doing. I am going to continue messing with some loads and doing a little tweaking here and there.

I can see by the responses that this is a popular post so I will keep everyone informed with my firearms reveiw of the 527 in 204 Ruger
Old 02-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep the posts a coming! I have a buddy that is itching to buy a 204, this thread just might help him make up his mind.

Thing sure seems to shoot good.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

I gave it a go again this afternoon, I dont know if it was the wind or a clean barrel but this group opened up quite a bit. The crosswinds were 5-10mph gust.
5 shots @ 100 yds 40 gr V-Max handload....

This is the same load as the above groupbut I waited about 15 minutes for the wind to die down. Man I almost had a scorcher again...4 shots into .250" but the flyer opened it up to .430". This was shot with a fouled barrel and in calm conditions....maybe it was the wind???

5 shot@100ydssame load as above....

Quick Reply: CZ 527 Varmint ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.