Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Bullet Placement

Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Bullet Placement

I was having a convo. with a guy at work, and thought i would ask yall here as well. He only shoots for the vitals (heart/lungs), I mostly go for head/neck shots. His argument is a bigger target area. My argument is my gun is sighted in at 100yards inside a 1"-5shot group, so why bother, if i miss its a clean miss, if I hit it drops rite there. Why sight your gun in for even a 2" circle and not go for a head/neck shot?? I meen trophy bucks ok yea you dont wanna mess up a good shoulder mount, but just your average buck that your gonna prolly just have to eat. Why not go for the one shot wonder? just my 2cents in a ?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bullet Placement

A debate that leads neither party to agree but I'll play along. I for one don't advocate head and neck shots b/c it is the one part on an animal that moves the most and often without warning. Also the fact that most don't consider their true zero when aquiring the target of a within range animal can make the perfect hold and shot to be misery 1 or 2 off can be a big deal on a neck or head shot. I have seen botched head and neck shot, it was enough for me to take this placement out of the question. It has nothing to do with ability but rather respect for the animal in my case. I consider myself a decent shot but shooting off a bench means nothing in the field IMHO. All it tells me is my scope is on and what I am capable of under little pressure. Yeah it is a confidence boost to bang out .5" groups but thats it. WhenI hit an animal in the lungs the feeling is much better than measure CtoC after a range session and I have yet to try to figure out if I hit within an 1" of where I was aiming. Notched tag and no suffering are allI need to go home happy.

As far as wasing meat, that is bogus the amount of meat that comes from the ribs of the deer isn't worth the worry. Butcher one and you'll see their is more meat off the neck then the ribs!!

I agree with your co-worker larger room of error makes the vitals a higher % shot and the best one to take. Put a bullet into any portion of the lungs and you have a filled tag. You can't say the same with aslight missof the neck or head. Oh itprobably will kill them but you might not be the one doing the eating[&:]!

Just my pennies worth
Old 01-13-2007, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ihave shot deer in the neck occasionally but the one shot I take the most is top of the shoulders . I prefer it over heart lungs anytime .
Old 01-13-2007, 06:53 AM

Head shots are a no no because you don't want to take a chance on blowing off it's jaw then it dies a slow painful death. Just stick with the neck shots if you must but I always go for the vitals.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed many deer with head/neck shots. It depends mostly to me on the situation at the time, and most importantly, the distance to the target. I ALWAYS try to get a rest of some sort. If I don't feel comfortable about making that type of shot, I'll put it in the heart/lung cavity. I have killed FAR more deer with chest shots than head/neck shots, but I am not at all adverse to taking that shot if the situation is right at that time.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:02 PM

A high neck shot is pretty much lights out - but the high shoulder shot is equally disabling gives you a lot more room for error.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

I have killed many deer with head/neck shots. It depends mostly to me on the situation at the time, and most importantly, the distance to the target. I ALWAYS try to get a rest of some sort. If I don't feel comfortable about making that type of shot, I'll put it in the heart/lung cavity. I have killed FAR more deer with chest shots than head/neck shots, but I am not at all adverse to taking that shot if the situation is right at that time.
Nah man, there is no need for head shots, too much room for error. Don't do it.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

A debate that leads neither party to agree but I'll play along. I for one don't advocate head and neck shots b/c it is the one part on an animal that moves the most and often without warning. Also the fact that most don't consider their true zero when aquiring the target of a within range animal can make the perfect hold and shot to be misery 1 or 2 off can be a big deal on a neck or head shot. I have seen botched head and neck shot, it was enough for me to take this placement out of the question. It has nothing to do with ability but rather respect for the animal in my case. I consider myself a decent shot but shooting off a bench means nothing in the field IMHO. All it tells me is my scope is on and what I am capable of under little pressure. Yeah it is a confidence boost to bang out .5" groups but thats it. WhenI hit an animal in the lungs the feeling is much better than measure CtoC after a range session and I have yet to try to figure out if I hit within an 1" of where I was aiming. Notched tag and no suffering are allI need to go home happy.

As far as wasing meat, that is bogus the amount of meat that comes from the ribs of the deer isn't worth the worry. Butcher one and you'll see their is more meat off the neck then the ribs!!

I agree with your co-worker larger room of error makes the vitals a higher % shot and the best one to take. Put a bullet into any portion of the lungs and you have a filled tag. You can't say the same with aslight missof the neck or head. Oh itprobably will kill them but you might not be the one doing the eating[&:]!

Just my pennies worth
I absolutely agree 100%. I couldn't have said it better than Skeeter 7mm. He is right on the money. I don't believe in head shots because of the reasons he clearly outlined.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:21 PM

I too, agree with Skeeter. A proper shoulder/high shoulder shotusually drops 'em where they are. Behind the shoulder is a dead anything and the ribs don't blow up like a shoulder or neck roast!

I'm sure most of us have had a deer make that small move or take another step just as we were squeezing off.Aiming at the shoulder or ribs still amounted to a clean kill. I can't say what would happen if the crosshairs were on the neck and it moved!! Coyote bait?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

What Skeeter Said!!!!!

Quick Reply: Bullet Placement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.