Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

338 Federal

Old 11-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 338 Federal

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

So is this a necked up 308? I am struggling to see what advantage it would have over a 338 win mag.
Recoil, recoil, recoil.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: seattlesetters

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

So is this a necked up 308? I am struggling to see what advantage it would have over a 338 win mag.
Recoil, recoil, recoil.
The question should be: what is the advantage over the .308? But we've covered that.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

The question should be: what is the advantage over the .308? But we've covered that.
200+ gr. bullets in a factory load, at higher velocity than you can drive one out of a .308.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:14 PM

Here's a question. Does anyone have experience with the .338 bullets at these lower velocities. Most/all have been made/designed with the magnums in mind. It's a great round on paper...but, just like all these 'new' rounds, I don't think its a useful advantage. If I were hunting something that I didn't feel a 308 or 30-06 could handle you best believe I'd but recoil aside and be packing a magnum or hot 45-70.

Nothin' wrong with adding another color to the palette...but it can all be done with just 3.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

Here's a question. Does anyone have experience with the .338 bullets at these lower velocities. Most/all have been made/designed with the magnums in mind. It's a great round on paper...but, just like all these 'new' rounds, I don't think its a useful advantage. If I were hunting something that I didn't feel a 308 or 30-06 could handle you best believe I'd but recoil aside and be packing a magnum or hot 45-70.

Nothin' wrong with adding another color to the palette...but it can all be done with just 3.
Soil, you win the grand prize, for the correct answer.The .338 Fed. offers nothing new at all.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Soil, you win the grand prize, for the correct answer.The .338 Fed. offers nothing new at all.
Like I say in most of these threads about new cartridges. Whoopty friggin doo!!!!!!!!!!!

The .308 didn't do anything or offer anything better when it came out either. We already had the 30-06! 95% or better of the cartridges out there are nothing but very close repetitions of other cartridges that were alive and well before them that were killing the same animals with equal authority before the "new" cartridges came along.

Just to inform all of you about this "NEW" cartridge, the .338 Federal. It has been a looooooooong time wildcat ever since the .308 Winchester was introduced and simply called the .338-08. There is nothing new about it at all other than the Federal name associated with it now.

Basically quit whining about a new old cartridge. It isn't designed to compete with any magnum out there. It's simply a great medium range, short action, big game hunting cartridge.

And as far as the bullets working properly at these super slow velocities goes....... The .338 Win mag only has a 100 yard advantage in velocity. The .338 Federal and the .338 Win mag have essentially the same velocity with the 210 grain partition at 0 and 100 yards respectively. Does any one shoot at any animals beyond 100 yards with the .338 Win mag? This argument about this cartridge is pretty much a non factor.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Like I say in most of these threads about new cartridges. Whoopty friggin doo!!!!!!!!!!!

The .308 didn't do anything or offer anything better when it came out either. We already had the 30-06! 95% or better of the cartridges out there are nothing but very close repetitions of other cartridges that were alive and well before them that were killing the same animals with equal authority before the "new" cartridges came along.

Just to inform all of you about this "NEW" cartridge, the .338 Federal. It has been a looooooooong time wildcat ever since the .308 Winchester was introduced and simply called the .338-08. There is nothing new about it at all other than the Federal name associated with it now.

Basically quit whining about a new old cartridge. It isn't designed to compete with any magnum out there. It's simply a great medium range, short action, big game hunting cartridge.

And as far as the bullets working properly at these super slow velocities goes....... The .338 Win mag only has a 100 yard advantage in velocity. The .338 Federal and the .338 Win mag have essentially the same velocity with the 210 grain partition at 0 and 100 yards respectively. Does any one shoot at any animals beyond 100 yards with the .338 Win mag? This argument about this cartridge is pretty much a non factor.
Sorry, I guess I don't quite have the intelligence to know what's a good cartridge and what isn't, considering I'm not a gunsmith or scientist like most of you are.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

At least two of the bullets offered in factory loads for the 338 Federal will work very well at 338 Federal velocities. One is the 185 grain TSX. and the other is the 210 grain Partition. Both bullets perform well at these velocities. In the elk done done by Layne Simpson, two of the Barnes bullets hit the elk at 300 + yards. Both exited, one through the off shoulder.

As already said, we don't really need 95 percent of the cartricges that exist today. The 30-06 has and would continue to take all the Game animals on earth. Why would we need any other cartridge? The answer would be, because people want them and will pay for them.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

At least two of the bullets offered in factory loads for the 338 Federal will work very well at 338 Federal velocities. One is the 185 grain TSX. and the other is the 210 grain Partition. Both bullets perform well at these velocities. In the elk done done by Layne Simpson, two of the Barnes bullets hit the elk at 300 + yards. Both exited, one through the off shoulder.

As already said, we don't really need 95 percent of the cartricges that exist today. The 30-06 has and would continue to take all the Game animals on earth. Why would we need any other cartridge? The answer would be, because people want them and will pay for them.
What I wanna see is a 30-06 case necked up to accept .375 Bullets.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:05 PM

Bigbulls, you make a very good point. I hadn't ever really looked up numbers on the 338WM. I was expecting that it pushed its bullets on the far side of 3000fps. Aparently it operates on the other side.

Quick Reply: 338 Federal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.