Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Taurus "The Judge" poly >

Taurus "The Judge" poly

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Taurus "The Judge" poly

Old 10-24-2015, 04:52 AM
Spike

Default Taurus "The Judge" poly

Just got the Judge. Anyone got any reviews on it. I haven't shot it yet. I'm planning on heading to the range in a few days. Got a box of 410's and .45's. Any input on this model or good mods would be great!!
Old 10-24-2015, 05:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think they are a novelty, not a gun to hunt with and too big to carry for self defense and uglier than a mud fence. I know a couple of guys who bought one, they didn't keep them long.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-24-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll have to buy the right ammo for the Judge. Standard .410 shells aren't charged properly for such a short barrel, so power at the business end is pathetic. With the right loads, it's a reasonable choice for a nightstand gun or snake smoker, as the spreads at 20ft are just right for what a guy needs - big enough to hit the target in a hurry without precision aiming, but small enough to effectively kill what you hit.

I have one in magnum, and my MIL has a standard. If a buyer has the right expectations, it's a reasonable purchase. The .45colt and .454c aren't the most accurate, but at normal ranges where any short barreled revolver would be effective, it's plenty accurate. But I didn't buy mine to shoot 454 or 45. They're not completely useless for accuracy - 4" at 50yrds is pretty typical for mine, but I don't try for precision very often. They aren't in the same class as a standard length cylinder model.

If it's a nightstand gun or otherwise defensive gun, then a proper action job, lengthened throat, and night sights and it'll do what it needs to do. It won't be concealable, but for a nightstand guns, I can think of worse choices.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 10-24-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just noticed that this is about the poly version....

Why make a revolver out of poly? Only real reason is to lighten it for carry. The Judge isn't a concealable piece, except for in the depths of winter under a coat, it's just plain too big and bulky. So as a belt carry piece, sure, it's lighter than a steel version. I don't know that the poly version appeals to me at all - and I DO have poly pistols and revolvers - but the poly judge is trying to be something it's not.

The upside is that it doesn't have the short sight radius that cripples most snubby revolvers. But on the other hand, it's a really long piece for a snubby - my Judge isn't much shorter than my 5.5" Toklat, but it doesn't have nearly as much barrel.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

I won a stainless one at a gun bash about a year ago. didn't like the looks of it and used it as a trade in for a ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag. cant understand why this gun is even made. too small for the caliber of 45 colt or the 410 shotgun shell. never shot it and didn't want to.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
I won a stainless one at a gun bash about a year ago. didn't like the looks of it and used it as a trade in for a ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag. cant understand why this gun is even made. too small for the caliber of 45 colt or the 410 shotgun shell. never shot it and didn't want to.
Why is it made is simple. It's exactly what NoMercy said it is. A nightstand gun. It is a great sidearm for its intended purpose. Self defense at home or in camp or on woodland hikes. Also useful for a person that doesn't handle handguns well. Because at 10' or 12' across a room loaded with Federal buck/bird shot you don't have to be very accurate to deliver a lethal dose of lead. I'll admit I had a bug to get one. I did, fired it a few times and decided I'd rather have my .40 S&W or .45 ACP on my side and sold it for what I paid for it.

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-24-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

I wonder how many that badmouth them, actually own one? I've had one for over 5yrs. (2.5"chamber, blued) It's more than accurate enough to kill deer at "bow ranges" with proper 45 loads. Full of buckshot & I would bet I can stop ANY threat from night prowlers at "living room distances". I found thru extensive testing on my west TN swamp/River bottom farm, that #6 loads are THE BEST for snakes! Logically 9s & 7s should do better with higher pellet counts but testing found that NOT to be the case. 9s scatter everywhere & wide. 7s were high & off to one side. The 6s are spot on & have rolled up THOUSANDS of cottonheaded-rattlecondas in my swamps. It's standard gear on my place from April-Oct!

Sure they aren't THE best in any one particular segment but I dare anyone to come up with a more "widely adaptable" handgun!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

My cousin has one, he likes it alot. Its definitely not a conceal carry, but for its intended use, I see it as a pretty good fit.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMO they are good for snakes and home defense. I see no other purpose for them.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by uncle matt
IMO they are good for snakes and home defense. I see no other purpose for them.
And that is what they are made for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.