Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 IAC model 1897 (12ga lever action) >

IAC model 1897 (12ga lever action)

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

IAC model 1897 (12ga lever action)

Old 09-22-2006, 10:34 PM

Default IAC model 1897 (12ga lever action)

I got my PTA late on Thursday afternoon so I was at the shop 1st thing on Friday morning, after taking delivery I had to check a couple of traps that I set for a fox over the road the morning before.
As luck would have it there was one in it so my 1st shot nailed a Fox (even if it was an execution) but after pulling up the traps I went across the river to give it a work out.

I walked all over the front paddocks I noticed that while it was heavy it carried well and was surprisingly well balanced, I looked closer at it and started to notice the fine details.
One of the 1st things that I noticed was that there was light machine marks on the barrel similar to what I have noticed on Baikal and Boito shotguns but the blueing was a nice even coating and the whole gun was very solid.The wood was nothing spectacular but it does show some promise and I think that a little French polishing will bring it up a treat, or I might buy a replacement “high grade” walnut stock.

I loaded it up and tested it on a termite mound and found that some of the shells stuck a little and that it took quite a bit of effort to extract at times, but that soon smoothed out after a about the 1st 21 rounds. I will polish the action and remove some machine marks and burs with the Arlic supper tool when I have the time, but otherwise it was working well by the time that I finished playing with it.

I did notice that it shouldered very well for me and that it seems to fit me very well, not as well as a good SXS but better then I would expect for a $800 gun.This was proven as I made my way back to the car and Hare exploded from cover 15m in front of me.
I was amazed when I realized that I had the front bead on it already and seemingly without thought, it just seemed to shoulder on it’s own. I let off two very fast shots to sent the Hare cart wheeling down the hill about 25m in front of me, it was indeed very fast to cycle and to get a second shot off with.

All in all I am very impressed with this gun especially for the price and I am looking forward to jumping a mob of pigs with it very soon. I did however find the hammer easy to move but it does get hard on the thumb after a while, I would recomend having the chamber empty and a round on the feed ramp. As it is so fast to cycle that shouldn't prove to be a problem in the field.
I just have to put some slugs through it now and see how it groups.