Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Foaming Bore Cleaner

Old 01-29-2006, 02:30 PM

Default Foaming Bore Cleaner

i was wondering if anyone has used this product before...i used it to get some copper build up out of my barrel and now im affraidthe bore cleaner is gunna eat away at mybarrel if i diddn't get it all out....is this true?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:37 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Foaming Bore Cleaner

Ammonia based products by themself don't eat the bore. But attract moisture that can rust your barrel. I found out on a custom barrel, that leaving all the copper inside can oxidize and ruin your barrel however.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Haven't tried any foaming copper agents yet, however I do use a dedicated copper remover like Barnes Cr10 or Sweets 7.62 in all my guns. I have never encountered a problem with either of these agents, however I make sure to remove the product by way of dry patches, followed by a patch with isopropyl Alcohol, dry patch & then a liberally light gun oil like Sheathsoaked patch run through to protect the bore during storage.

If you ran a patch with gun oil down it after the foaming cleaner process you should be ok as well. Like BC states not the agent itself but rather a reaction to the properties thatmay cause damage over time if left unattended.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

I've used it, great stuff, (cause I'm lazy I guess). I do the foam thing, 1/2 hour later I push it out with a patched jag, run another patch to dry, then use some butches, or shooters choice and run a couple of soaked patches on a fiber brush, dry it back out with some jagged patches then oil and put it up. I haven't had any moisture-rust problems with this cleaning method.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which foaming bore cleaner are you referring to? If you're talking about Wipeout, yes I've used it. It works pretty well, although it's slow. I usually squirt it in the bore and leave it overnight. Sometimes it takes two or three of these overnight sessions to complete the job.