Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 What's the best all-weather rifle? >

What's the best all-weather rifle?

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What's the best all-weather rifle?

Old 01-11-2006, 08:22 AM

Default What's the best all-weather rifle?

Well everyone, I need a new rifle that can stand up to the elements for an extended period of time. Suggestions on what you think is the most weather resistant rifle out there would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you own one, what experiences have you had with it to make you feel that it is the best? Oh, I want a bolt action, and I am not quite decided on caliber yet.

Fat-Arrow[8D]
Old 01-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's the best all-weather rifle?

anything stainless I have a remington's and a ruger that are stainless and both see plenty of elements but you still will want to take care of it. I haven't heard alot about the new XCR but it will probley rate right up their around the top of the list.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Dominant Buck

M77® Mark II All-Weather®
Centerfire Bolt Action Rifle · KM77RFP MKII

Old 01-11-2006, 10:06 AM

You may want to post this in the Guns Forum, it will probably get more responses.

I agree, go synthetic stainless or laminated stainless. Right now your best deals are on a Tikka T3 Lite or a Savage 16 Series FCSS. Both nice guns, all the bells and whistles and great value.

Good luck, its always a hard choice.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Ruger makes very good guns for the money. My 77Mk II SS 300 WSM will shoot between .5MOA and .75MOA with 110gr Sp at 3600fps and 165-180gr Barnes XLCs at 3100-3000fps. I am very happy with it.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

I's say the "best" factory all weather rifle is going to be the SAKO. That being said, I purchased 2 ruger all weather rifles (204 Ruger and 350 Rem) for what the SAKO cost, have $250 leftover and am very happy with the rifles.

CE
Old 01-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Gots me a Vanguard in a BC stock, excellent rifle for less than 1/2 the money of the sako that being said IF I had the money I would get the sako they are really sweet
Old 01-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nearly any bolt action or single action rifle will work, as they are the easiest to clean. Synthetic stocks are typically the most durable, followed by laminates. Wood stocks are more susceptible to moisture and temperature changes.

Good routine maintenance will keep the metal in good shape. If you are out inharsh weather, make sure to clean and oil all metal surfaces when you get back home. This goes for bothblued and stainless rifles.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: North Texan

Nearly any bolt action or single action rifle will work, as they are the easiest to clean. Synthetic stocks are typically the most durable, followed by laminates. Wood stocks are more susceptible to moisture and temperature changes.

Good routine maintenance will keep the metal in good shape. If you are out in harsh weather, make sure to clean and oil all metal surfaces when you get back home. This goes for both blued and stainless rifles.
ditto. I would like to offer to that Tikka and Sako make great all-weather varmint and hunting setups with a hard to break polymer stock and stainless heavy barrels. Here is a pick of one of my Tikka's, the T3 varminter in .308 all weather with heavy stainless barrel.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Sako 75 Synthetic Stainless is the ticket, but what the heck, what do I know, I just have two of them...

Quick Reply: What's the best all-weather rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.