Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 REMINGTON MOD 700-300 WTBY MAG >

REMINGTON MOD 700-300 WTBY MAG

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

REMINGTON MOD 700-300 WTBY MAG

Old 11-10-2005, 11:07 AM

Default REMINGTON MOD 700-300 WTBY MAG

I bought a Remington mod 700 SS in 300 weatherby, everything works great when I use Federal ammo for it (180gr Partitions). I picked up 4 boxes of weatherby 180 gr X Bullets and fired 1 shot at the range, the shot hit were I aimed, great I thought to myself----But thencould not open the bolt to eject the shell. The range officer came over with a metal rod and sent it down the barrel, which made the bolt open. I fired another round to see if it was that one cartridge, It happened again, and a third time. The range officer said it was caused by the Weatherby ammo, being loaded "hotter", and some guys said it was beause remington is a piece of junk. Has this happened to anyone else? & can something be done to fix this?

thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 01:17 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: REMINGTON MOD 700-300 WTBY MAG

Sounds like your remington doesn't have enough freebore. What you can do is have a smith take a mold of your chamber, and have remington investigate it. It might be a bad box of ammo but doubt it. I might have decked the smartbutt saying my remington was junk. Thats just rude to insult a guys gun while he's having trouble.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

take a look at the shells that were ejected... what did the primers look like.. are they flattened out and extruded into the chamfer on the primer pocket of the brass casing? inspect the cases carefully for signs of nicks and indentions...

a sticky bolt is generally a sign of excessive pressure, weak brass, machining marks in the bore which bind and hold the shell back against the bolt... or as said.. not enough freebore

if you have access to a micrometer or dial calipers measure the OD of unfired and fired weatherby ammo... especially down around the headspace band... if it has grown more than .003 to .004 it's most likely weak brass or just too much pressure... flattened, punctured or extruded primers will also denote this.. you'll see the distinctive machine marks from the bolt on them...

one other issue.. the barnes bullets are longer and the ogive MAY be contacting the rifling if the throat is shallow... when you seat into the rifling or too close to it you build excessive pressure and this can cause an otherwise "normal" load to act like a "hot" load... when reloading with barnes X bullets and the like it is specifically stated that you must seat them further from the rifling to avoid excessive pressure... somthing like .050 inches minimum... whereas with conventional bullets you can generally get away with in the neighborhood of .020 - .030...

just some ideas...
Old 11-14-2005, 02:07 AM

My Brother bought a new in the box Remington Classic in .300 Weatherby. He first used the Remington factory loads which worked just fine, but he wanted a smaller bullet for deer. I found some factory Weatherby ammo marked down on The Sportsmans Guide web site. The ammo was the 150 grain Nosler partition. Got it for I think $15.00 dollars a box. I bought six of them for his Christmas gift. When he fires it, it shows signs of high pressure on the case head. The brass seems to be flowing somewhat into the ejector hole and the case head has shiny marks around the entire circumference. He has never had a bolt get stuck though. I think Remington has some free bore, but not as much as Weatherby does for thir rifles. Their ammo is hot. Look at the ballistics of Weatheby ammo compared to others. A shoulder shot on a whitetail blows a tremendous hole going in. I hope this helps you out. Maybe you could get the chamber reamed out some more and give it some extra freebore. Weatherby should be able to help you out with the dimensions.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:00 PM

Thank you allfor the info