Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.17 cal rifle

Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 PM

Default .17 cal rifle

I just got a marlin .17 cal rimfire with heavy barrel. does anyone have any ballistic info on how it should be sighted in and also whats better hornadys or winchester. Iam sure its dependent on the gun. thanks i hope i posted in the right spot

Old 11-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .17 cal rifle

F.F. Medic I have one, it is a Marlin bolt action WMR. There is a shorter round .17 as well thatthey came out with the year after I bought mine, I am not sure which you are asking about.

I have shot the Hornadys and the Winchesters throught it. It shoot both equally well, the only difference being that the Winchesters shoot about 3/4s of a inch to the left at 90 yards. Both group equaly well. At that distance I will most times have the hole touching a holeand sometimes it will shoot a hole in a hole. It is amazingly accurate.

The one negitive thing I have noticed is that seemingly without reason the point of impact will change and the gun will suddenly start hitting maybe and inch in any given direction. Once the point of impact changes to a new location the gun will group just as tight at the new location as it did at the old one.
I suspect it is because I shoot to many times between cleaning the barrel ( the .17 has extremely shallow rifling). I have tried to brass wire brush the barrel more often (at least evey 20 shots or so) and it doesn't seem to happen as often.

If you ever wanted to shoot a squirrel<sp> in the eye at a 100 yards you have the gun that will do it, it is amazingly accurate.
I don't have the bullistics handy, but if you do a google I am sure they can be found readily.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Mr-Pirk
Old 11-10-2005, 12:27 AM

go on hornady's website, they should have it, and CCI makes some ammo for it so check there as well....search .17HMR
Old 11-10-2005, 10:42 AM

Two sites that will give you more info than you can digest on the 17HMR .

rimfire central

varmint Al's

This is also a good ballistics calculator if you want to figure different sight in ranges and wind deflection at different ranges. Mine is sighted in for 110 yards.

Big Game Info

I don't remember the BC off hand, but you can find it on either of the sites above, or on the hornady's site. They are listed at 2550 fps, but usually shoot closer 2600 in most rifles.

If you have the 17HMR and want to hunt tree rats for meat you should look into the CCI hollow points, 20 grn Game points, or the newer FMJ bullets. The V-max's will darn near blow one in half at most ranges. Head shots are must if you want the meat.

If you have the 17HM2 it is a really great round for them from what I udnerstand. Better range and accuracy than a .22LR and not as much damage as the HMR.

I have a savage heavy barrel and love it.

Paul
Old 11-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a CZ-452 American in the .17HMR caliber. Problem is that with that little bullet, the wind plays havoc with it at long ranges. I may trade it in for the .17HMR2, I really wanted a super accurate squirrel gun anyway, 50 yards tops. The .17HMR rips them up big time. Here's a comparison chart.

Old 11-21-2005, 12:05 PM

And by the way, CCI makes all the ammo for these rifles. Deosn't matter who's name is on the box, it is made by CCI. It may be manufactured to different specs and standards for each company though.

Paul