Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Muzzleloader questions

Old 11-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Spike

Default Muzzleloader questions

Lookin for opinions on what muzzle loader to buy.I have been looking at the CVA optima pro. Seems to be a nice gun with a lower price. You hear nothing but good bout the thompson OMEGA's just the price is a bit higher.

If any of you have experience with either guns I would love to hear about it.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:25 PM

Default RE: Muzzleloader questions

I own the optima, not the pro model. And, I really like it. It shoots as good or better than a friends Encore did, but that could have been the shooter, and not the gun. The CVA co. is supposed to introduce a new Optima Elite with interchangeable rifle and shotgun barrels. I am definitely going to get one when they do. Also, try posting this in the Blackpowder section; it will get you more responses.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:30 PM

if your seriouslylooking at inlines, no question,savage ml-10 II[adjustable trigger available], shoots anything muzzleloadable,
including smokeless powder[no cleanup/fouling. if you want a sidelock any T/C.......
Old 11-18-2005, 09:03 PM

I SHOOT THE CVA BEARTOOTH MAGNUM IN 45CAL.
ITS THE OPTIMA UNDER A NEW NAME. I LOVE IT
IT SHOOTS POWERBELTS LIKE THEY WERE ON A
ROPE. I'VE TAKEN 3 DOES AND A 178LB. FIVE POINT
WITH MINE. I HEARD ALL THE ACCLAIM THE MORE
EXPENSIVE ML TOLD BUT YOU KNOW DEAD IS DEAD
THE ANIMAL YOU TAKE REALLY DOESN'T KNOW WHAT
PRICE WAS PAID FOR THE WEAPON HE JUST KNOWS
HE'S DEAD. MY 2CENTS.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok, heres my one and only experience with both of these guns side by side. My buddy bought a brand new Omega last year, and I bought the Optima Pro. (The only difference between the pro and regular is the 29" barrel on the pro and a 26" on the regular). At the range we both were sighting in our guns and I noticed when he would reload the Omega he had to screw a piece onto the end of his ramrod to get the full length of being able to reach the bottom of his barrel. On the Optima pro it has the additional piece built in so you unscrew the end and its already there. I just thought that in the field it would be one more thing to lose. JMO.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:21 PM

hi i own both an optima pro and a t/c omega and i love them both. id sayi like the omega better because the way it seals and the pivoting block is a really cool feature but they are both good muzzle loaders and another i may suggest is the kodiak 209 by cva its the same as the omega but cheaper i havent personally shot one but they look to be good just what ever you do DONT BUY A KNIGHT NEVER EVER!! that jacket business is a joke. and i have had a lot of guys come to me and wonder if they can get the front site put back on their knights cuz it just falls of while they are hunting. i give harold knight a lot of credit for starting the inline muzzleloader rebirth but his company has been left in the dust by the rest.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:19 PM

There are many quality muzzleloaders out there for decent prices, i own an Omega myself and love it, but i would also reccomend the CVA Kodiak or the Knight Vision just as well to anyone, good luck and hope you pick a good one