Community
Enhancement Request / Wish List Please post any enhancement requests here. We will review them all, but please understand that we may or may not be able to include them in future releases.

New forum

Old 04-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default New forum

I would like to see a religious discussion forum started. That way posts regarding other matters would not be hijacked and turned into a religious debate or I should say argument. No one comes to this mesage board to be preached to, and ridiculed by a few people who want to preach. A religious discussion forum would give those who want to discuss religion a place to do it without hijacking other threads.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Banned

just because you don't agree you want it removed from certain threads. hmmm.. seems pretty intolerant. if you don't want to engage with the posts that involve religion, here's a novel idea, JUST DON'T.
like it or not religion is relevant to discussions on many topics.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I do want it removed to its own thread. If I want to engage I can do that on a seperate thread and not have to watch a post regarding political issues be hijacked and turned into a religious back and forth between a few people. Did you ever notice when that happens, most people, just stop posting on the subject the OPs started. I doubt it will happen for obvious reasons but I think it would be better for the board.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:19 AM
Banned

I have no problem with a new forum but don't think for a second it will stop anyone from posting ,religion, in a political thread , when it is relevant. which is often.

seems more an attempt to censor that which you can't stand to hear, to me.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

We actually used to have a religion forum. Operative words are "used to."

Back then, about 10 or so regular members (and occasionally a new member) would argue the same stuff back and forth. At first it was atheism against religions. People got fired up. After the atheists pretty much dropped out of the forum, it was other religions against Christianity. Eventually those members posting in favor of other religions dropped out. Then it got down to 2 or 3 guys posting bible verses and occasionally 1 member trying to start a discussion about anything religious with no takers.

Shortly after that, some people proposed to Admin that the Religion forum should be closed. Admin closed the forum and now the results are religion has shifted to the Off Season and Politics forums.

I agree that religion is often relevant to many subjects and have pretty much green lighted it in the Politics forum as the forum moderator. I assume Mr4pt has done essentially the same thing in the Off season since I see religious topics in that forum.

Now you know the history (more or less) of a religion forum at HNI. You can request the forum be re-instituted from HNI Christine or Paul (Ibobi). I don't know if they'll be receptive to starting that forum up again or not. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Certain people would come along thinking they were enlightened and anyone that disagreed with their dogma was the devil. Similar to the political board, but at times much worse. Certain people demanded tolerance for their beliefs, but showed total intolerance for anything they disagreed. Again, like the political board. False accusations and attacks were common too...like the political board.

If we have a board dedicated to religion and it's barred from all other boards, then to be fair there should also be one for people to discuss the theory of evolution (and keep it off every other forum), abortion, "climate change", along with any and every other thing that could overlap.

Total tolerance except for the things I don't want to tolerate--right?

One more board for those who support liberal ideology (such as the above) regardless of what political persuasion they claim.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, you sound like you are talking about yourself as the intolerant one. I did not expect any action on the request. However I just wanted the powers that be to know that the hijacking of political threads is running people away from the site. I have recieved pms from others who have had enough of the a few people hijacking a thread away from the intent of the posts and preaching who will not post anymore. I thought perhaps those who own the message board may want to consider placing the religious discourse in a place where those who enter want the discourse, even if it is only a hand full of people. It would appear I was wrong. Nothing wrong with religious discourse, but there is a time and place and a way to do it that is not as abrasive as we are seeing here.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I am intolerant, and have no problem admitting it. I am intolerant of lies, false accusations, people pretending to be something they aren't...basically anything dishonest I am intolerant of.

I have recieved pms from others who have had enough of the a few people hijacking a thread away from the intent of the posts and preaching who will not post anymore.
Really? The rules are pretty clear about who to contact if there is a complaint. Not the first time she's pulled that stunt...or second.

What "preaching", pray tell (pun intended). You shouldn't be making accusations you can't back.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by LBR
I am intolerant, and have no problem admitting it. I am intolerant of lies, false accusations, people pretending to be something they aren't...basically anything dishonest I am intolerant of.
Really? The rules are pretty clear about who to contact if there is a complaint. Not the first time she's pulled that stunt...or second.
What "preaching", pray tell (pun intended). You shouldn't be making accusations you can't back.

I don't believe Oltimr is talking about anything that would necessitate a complaint being filed in regards to what he's talking about. It's also very interesting that a couple members that are very good at doing exactly what he's talking about have come on this thread and are apparently objecting to his request. I, for one, understand exactly where he's coming from and that's one big reason I don't get involved much in these debates because of where they seem to be going more and more lately. Also, I'm at least one member he's referencing regarding PMs being being exchanged with him on the subject. I'm also not a she and I find it very improper that you would suggest that our one regular female member is in any way involved with this. That would certainly be an "accusation you can't back up", like you have accused Oldtimr of. It sounds like you may have a problem with that certain female member from previous engagements that I'm not familiar with, but to make the statement you did IMHO is very inappropriate, especially in your capacity as a Super Mod! Just my opinion and that's all it is!
Old 04-04-2015, 04:48 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Well Tg, first thing you should learn the whole story before injecting yourself. OT has made accusations he can't back up, against me specifically and generally. So you are just flat wrong there.

Second, no rule against pm-ing another member, but just what do you expect him to do? Have you left the site? Seems he either exaggerated, or he wasn't talking about you.

There's a blue million things that get brought up on the political board that aren't political. There are religious opinions brought up that don't have a thing to do with Christianity. Don't see either of you complaining about that, just the things you specifically don't like.

There are threads every day that I don't care for. I exercise the option of not reading or not replying to them. It's pretty simple.

Last edited by LBR; 04-04-2015 at 05:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.