Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 disabled hunters >

disabled hunters

Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

disabled hunters

Old 09-15-2004, 10:39 AM

Default disabled hunters

While surfing the net I came along this site and am very glad I did!! The american public need to know just what a disabled individual has to go through to get in the field to enjoy a sport that's as old as the bow and arrow. I realize that wildlife divisions country wide are making great strides to make hunting more accessable for the injured, BUT----couldn't a few more of these dollars be spent making it more accessable to especially folks in wheelchairs? What's it cost to build a few curb forms, lay some cheap mesh, and pour some concrete? Hell, I did it my whole life and believe me it's not that hard---especially if perfection is not a priority--which it wouldn't have to be in this instance. I keep hearing about the trouble the hunting sport is having getting our younger folks a hunting again----they're just not interested---rap has priority!! But now you talk about a guy or gal that's been hunting since he was 5 years old with dad following squirrels all over the woods and loving every minute of it----then has a headache ball dropped on his head at 26 and never being able to get into the woods again because there is no access---that's a pure shame!!!! I've had half a dozen back surgerys, including global fusions, and am very lucky in that I can still get around---having to really mind my p's and q's. Too many years as a Union Carpenter and way too much abuse on my back trying to build America. It breaks my heart every time I read a post by someone saying they would love to go hunting but can't get into anywhere to hunt----it shouldn't happen that way to our injured!!!! I'll quit rambbling on now but just wanted to let all know that I'm thinking of you and will do all I can to make hunting more accessable to the injured.
Have a great day all,
Metalback
Old 09-15-2004, 12:49 PM

Default RE: disabled hunters

Welcome metalback glad you found us! I totally agree with the issues you brought up. There are a lot of groups out there that are working to make things better such as Disabled Hunters of North America, Hunters helping Hunters and Buck Masters even has a program for the disabled. There are alot more but I cant think of them off hand right now. Once again Welcome and I hope you stick around a while.