Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
Any Disabled Vets in the house? >

Any Disabled Vets in the house?

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Any Disabled Vets in the house?

Old 12-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Spike

not allowed to double dip any more. when you are retired military and drawing VA benefits can only collect on one. but how it works is lets say your retirement is more than what the VA pays for your percentage. that part of your retirement pay will be tax free. As VA benefits (monthly check) is tax free. will pay taxes on the difference. buddy of mine is retired Navy. Drawing 60% VA disability, and got a federal job at a Navy shipyard. still young enough to work long enough to retire from the shipyard. he is still trying to figure out how that is gonna work.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will give them one thing there good at taking care of you post approval. they have been good to my dad. Giving me 900 a month to go to collage. Though the mess things up some on that. Could be like the vets in iraq. I bet they get nothing.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Off topic - but relevant.

There's one thing I'll say about getting into the VA - "The sooner you enroll, the better". They can start a file on you 180 days prior to your effective date of discharge. "Service Connection" is the key. That's much easier to prove if you're still in the service than it is 20 years after you left. OIF/OEF veterans go to the front of the line. They may rate you 0% today when you're 25, but as long as the rating is there from a proven service connection, you now have a foundation if you find you can't walk when you're 50.

There are all kinds of vocational rehabilitation programs available, it all depends upon the veteran and the situation. Also something to note, a VA letter or rating may give you up to 10 "preference points" when applying for federal jobs. This CAN allow you to compete on the same footing (or in some cases, better) than people who are already working in the agency you're applying to.

Another concept to be aware of is "Concurrent Receipt". I don't think the law provides full implementation until 2014, but IIRC, any retired veteran above 50% will receive their full (taxed) retirement - PLUS - their VA disability (untaxed). Seems I remember being briefed last year that the implementation is phased starting this year. Still waiting on my own reevaluation to see how it works.

Also something to consider, if you don't like to deal with the bureaucracy yourself... While each VA hospital has what they call a "Patient Advocate" who'll work with you, but the bottom line is - they work FOR the VA, not for you. However, a number of Veterans' Service Organizations (VSOs - the VFW, American Legion, DAV, etc.) often will have a staff of knowledgeable people there at the hospital or nearby who'll champion your enrollment and claim and guide you through the process. They DON'T work for the VA, they work for you, but you have to sign a limited power of attorney to "hire" them to represent you in front of the VA. I'm fortunate I have a very experienced VSO rep taking care of me, I have to answer a telephone call once in awhile from him and find a document or two, but it's much quicker than waiting for the VA to send me letters telling me what I'm missing.

If you're a veteran and not enrolled already with the VA, get it done as soon as you can. Don't wait until you have a problem and no insurance.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

not allowed to double dip any more. when you are retired military and drawing VA benefits can only collect on one.
This is no longer the case.

Another concept to be aware of is "Concurrent Receipt". I don't think the law provides full implementation until 2014, but IIRC, any retired veteran above 50% will receive their full (taxed) retirement - PLUS - their VA disability (untaxed). Seems I remember being briefed last year that the implementation is phased starting this year. Still waiting on my own reevaluation to see how it works.
The phase in began in 2004.

Thanks to all you guys for your service.

I retired from the US Army in 1979. There is a long history behind the
law that prevented retired military folks from drawing both a military retirement and a VA disability. It was rammed through congress in the 1890s by a congressman who was a Confederate officer. It was in effect until 2004.

Congress voted to phase in the concurrent receipt of military retired pay and VA disability pay for 20 year or more retirees who are rated at 50 percent or more by the VA. The phase in began in 2004. It does not apply to folks who took eary retirement.

In 2014 disabled military retirees who are rated at 50 percent or more by the VA will receive all their military retirement pay and all their VA disability pay. In 2010 they are receiving 93.95 percent of the VA disability pay along with their full retirement check.

If you are a 20 year military retiree and you have a VA disability rated at 50 percent or more you should be receiving both. Here is the formula:

http://www.military.com/benefits/mil...ay-computation

Combat Related Special Compensation is another matter:

2008 Update: The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act, signed into law on January 29, 2008, includes changes to Chapter 61 retiree eligibility, a new component for (CRSC). This legislation expands eligibility to medical retirees with less than 20 years of service, effective January 1, 2008. Medically retired veterans must still provide documentation that shows a causal link between a current VA disability and a combat related event.

http://www.military.com/benefits/mil...l-compensation

Last edited by falcon; 03-08-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Spike

Default helping our wounded warriors

i have started an organization helping our returning, wounded, and disabled vets for anyone who is interested.
we are doing our first success story in texas for a wounded vet and his stepson
we have tons of trips available-stop by our website and see if there is one in your area-we have lots ofturkey spots to fill for this season which is fast approaching.
if you do not see something in your area, please let me know as i have contacts in almost every state including the uk.
here is my contact information
phone: 1-302-384-1121
email: [email protected]
we have a newsletter if you are interested in hearing about the "whats goin on" with HHS.

"healing through the great outdoors"
Old 03-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

I am a vet with a 10% disability not much but none the less
Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did manage to hunt only one time in my life with my Dad. He was a 100% DAV - a double amputee from the USCG in WWII. He was the one person who exposed me to deer hunting and I have passed that heritage on to my 3 sons and 2 grandsons. He was not only my Dad but my Best Friend.

A while back, I did take time to write a short story about that one hunt with Dad. I will be happy to share it if anyone would like to read it.

God Bless all Veterans!
Jimmy S - Vietnam Veteran
Old 04-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

Come to think of it, I am disabled too. Crashed a couple of Hueys; one in 1975 and the other in 1994. I don't think much about the pain much anymore, it's just something you get used to. Hope to fix my back pain on 30 April. Doc is gonna go in from the front and elevate two vertebrae, then apply a synthetic splint and call it good. Same for the neck two weeks later.

Some states allow certain disabled vets free stuff....NV and CO, if you are 60% or greater, will give you a lifetime fishing license....maybe a small game license too. CO will also give you free plates for one vehicle.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Spike

Default i am a 100% service connected vet

i am a gulf war era vet and i have been hunting for years with a licence that i only pay 5 dollars for which gives me my small,big game fishing,trapping,bow and muzzleloading. plus i always receive my first pick for doe tags.

and for the gentleman who has been fighting with the va i know some tricks to deal with them so please feel free to contact me if you want.

i am also working on get a free completion certifcate from my local vocational school in conservation it is one of the things veterans get in my state. the school district pays for it
Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Vets & the VA

I hear all of your words & feel your pains. I retired from the military in 1987, was sent to the VA. I was a jet engine mechanic for several years and have a bad hearing loss, left shoulder and right knee injuries. I was told not to come back to the VA hospital unless I was deaf and couldn't walk.

I, as most Vets. was so mad I never went back until recently, 3 months past. I had a young lady that worked for me while in the military and when she retired, she went to work with the VA. She has been after me hard for the last few years to get my case reopened, stating that their attititude towards Vets has changed drastically. So I have reopened my case and go to the VA Hospital (150 miles) this coming Tuesday for a reeval. I'm truly not looking forward to being treated like crap again, but I'm going.

My heart is with all of you and maybe something will come out good for me this time, which is doubtful.

Sincerely,
dog1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.