Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Buying for my husband >

Buying for my husband

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Buying for my husband

Old 11-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Spike

Default Buying for my husband

Hi all, I'm wanting to buy my husband and new crossbow for his birthday. I have no idea what I'm doing or looking for. Any helpful tips or brands I should be looking at?
Old 11-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

My wife bought me a new ten point crossbow for father's day, and my son's both got Barnett crossbows. I've recently taken two hogs with mine and both kills were quick and had been worried about that . Both Barnett and ten point grouped arrows very well , Barnetts louder,and one of my son's had a really cheap scope on it,so look at them and compare- he will love it, I really enjoy mine, God bless and be safe
Old 11-10-2016, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

MY first question to you would be HOW much of a die hard deer hunter is your husband/
and my reason is this,
a GUY that is really into it will want a more top of the line X bow, for all the better features they have, and that means a X bow with a tall price tag,
of darn near close to 2 grand!
as that is what there bringing these days(NUTS if you ask me)
But its what they run.

hear is food for thought on this
IF you end up buying say a sub X bow, YES I am sure your husband will be happy still
BUT he may not really WANT IT, not be the model he had plans for

NOW< YES he can trade it in say in a yr or so, to NOT hurt your feelings or??

BUT when he does so he is going to take a beating on trade in price, say loose an easy 40% here! on what YOU just paid,!!
when at this rate, had you paid 40% more, he could have just got the on he wanted??
NOW I am NOT trying to make you spend your money, just giving you an example of how many times this plays out/
and I speak from experience here, I ran a sporting goods store and cannot tell you HOW MANY TIMES< a wife, girlfriend came in , bought there mate a weapon and it ended up coming back shortly after, due to, they DIDN"T know what exactly there spouse wanted!, and they wasted a lot of extra $$ in the process!

I Know this isn't the same, but it MIGHT be a better HONEST gift.
Give your husband a gift card at a local store that sells X bows, and let him get the one he wants, EVEN if he has to chip in some $$
its money better spent.

NOW if he doesn't hunt much and you THINK any X bow will make him happy
about any X Bow that is of a BRAND name today, and NOT there lowest priced model(any good shop can help tell you what ones are the entry models by ALL makers, by simply going and asking)
there are NO BAD X bows out there today, due to lawsuits making them all safe, and competition between brands fighting for your money!

a 400 dollar X bow will kill deer as will a 2,000 dollar one
BUT there NOT The same thing!
they have features that many want or make life easier, more accurate, lighter faster, flatter shooting and so on

THINK about Shoe's and hand bags! (sorry NOT trying to be a smart a$$)
they all do the same thing yet many can cost ten times more than like looking one's!
ONLY its not just NAME your paying for on hunting X bow,m its actual performance parts and designs!

a Gift card I think is your honest BEST bet here, and I doubt your husband would be offended and be just as happy, or maybe happier! as he then gets exactly what one he wants!
Old 11-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would find a bow shop and ask,they should be able to help...
Old 11-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PaJack
I would find a bow shop and ask,they should be able to help...
Very good advice. A couple guys I know bought a Centerpoint Sniper 370 Crossbow Scope Package and let me shoot it. I was very impressed especially after you consider the cost. Has an aluminum rail and short axle to axle, was a lot quieter than my wife's barnett quad 400 and the adjustable AR style stock was great, I could shorten it all the way to make the crossbow easier to cock and re-extend to fit me. It comes with scope, arrows, quiver and cocking rope.
Anyway if the bow shop you choose has one its defiantly worth trying it out.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Another thing to do is call Dave at Wyvern creations and talk to him. He may be able to give you a few ideas and also set up a gift account of some sort so your Husband could then select his own CB. The suggestion of a gift card would let you get him a CB and he would be able to get one he would like and use. That way he would enjoy your present much more than the hassle of you buying him one and he has to return it. Make it easier on both of you.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Messy - Not sure if you want to buy new or not. But I have an Excaliber Ibex 175# that I am thinking about selling. It is in like new condition and comes with a scope, bolts, extra string, and stringer, a cocking cord and sling. I even have a decocking bolt that I never used.
I bought the bow with the intentions of taking my grandson hunting but he doesn't seem too interested now.
If you're not familiar with the Excaliber crossbows they are recurve crossbows, simple, strong and well built. Drop me a PM if interested.

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-13-2016 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since you have no idea about crossbows or which brand or configuration he may want, perhaps you may want to visit a bow shop and ask how much a crossbow suitable for hunting would cost, get the price on several, then buy a gift certificate in the amount that would allow him to pick out the one he wants. Of course I don't know if you have a limit on what you are willing to spend because crossbows are ridiculously expensive. I do know if it were me, I would want to pick it out myself because some will feel better and or fit better than others.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would do what Oldtimr suggested also!
Old 11-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Since you have no idea about crossbows or which brand or configuration he may want, perhaps you may want to visit a bow shop and ask how much a crossbow suitable for hunting would cost, get the price on several, then buy a gift certificate in the amount that would allow him to pick out the one he wants. Of course I don't know if you have a limit on what you are willing to spend because crossbows are ridiculously expensive. I do know if it were me, I would want to pick it out myself because some will feel better and or fit better than others.

Good advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.