Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
The SA SportsŪ Empire Beowulf >

The SA SportsŪ Empire Beowulf

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

The SA SportsŪ Empire Beowulf

Old 11-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Spike

Default The SA SportsŪ Empire Beowulf

I was wondering if any one had it or new the good, bad, and ugly about it. I want to use it for deer hunting. My old body won't take the compound any longer. If not a good choice, anything in the price range. Which is better crank or rope.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Roadapple1
I was wondering if any one had it or new the good, bad, and ugly about it. I want to use it for deer hunting. My old body won't take the compound any longer. If not a good choice, anything in the price range. Which is better crank or rope.
The crank cocking device is slower but much better than the rope as it takes less effort to cock a crossbow and much more accurate. As an example I have the Barnett Ghost 410 rated at 185 pound draw weight. Using the rope cuts this in half to approximately 93 pound that each arm has to pull. Using the Barnett Crank Cocking device this is reduced to approximately 17 pound.
If you are planning on purchasing a cross bow, I would look for one that has this option. All the best.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by littlearrow
The crank cocking device is slower but much better than the rope as it takes less effort to cock a crossbow and much more accurate. As an example I have the Barnett Ghost 410 rated at 185 pound draw weight. Using the rope cuts this in half to approximately 93 pound that each arm has to pull. Using the Barnett Crank Cocking device this is reduced to approximately 17 pound.
If you are planning on purchasing a cross bow, I would look for one that has this option. All the best.
Incorrect. Rope cocker reduces draw weight by 50% to a total draw weight of 92.5 lbs. If pulling equally, that amounts to 46.25 per arm.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wayspr
Incorrect. Rope cocker reduces draw weight by 50% to a total draw weight of 92.5 lbs. If pulling equally, that amounts to 46.25 per arm.
I got the information from on the back of the Barnett Rope Cocking Device Package and I quote: "The Original Rope Cocking Device simplifies cocking any crossbow by decreasing the cocking tension by half". Thanks for the correction. With the rope wrapped around behind the scope in the groove, one has a double line on each side which cuts the load in half that each arm pulls. Works like a rope hoist, the more pulleys and ropes, the lighter the load one pulls. Thanks. All the best.

Last edited by littlearrow; 11-26-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

I strongly suggest you stay with a proven, reputable, quality crossbow company. Look at Ten Point, Excalibur and Wicked Ridge
Make a phone call to David at Wyvern Creations, he will answer all your question and provide the info you need to make the correct decision Best phone call you can make 603-659-0575
Old 11-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by OneBear
I strongly suggest you stay with a proven, reputable, quality crossbow company. Look at Ten Point, Excalibur and Wicked Ridge
Make a phone call to David at Wyvern Creations, he will answer all your question and provide the info you need to make the correct decision Best phone call you can make 603-659-0575
Great advice, David knows crossbows and will steer you in the right direction.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Spike

Default SA Sports Empire beowulf cross bow

Roadapple1, the empire Beowulf is an excellent crossbow and a it comes with a rope cocking aid. SA Sports also offers an empire cranking device for it which works quit well. I am not disputing the fact that there are more reputable companies out there but I can attest that the SA Sports cross bows are just as good and in some instances better. our family shoots horizontal and vertical bows and we own just about every major brand between us. we often have family competitions. I recently destroyed my ghost 385crt and didn't have the money to purchase another "more reputable crossbow" so I searched and found the SA Sports Empire Beowulf looking at the reviews, the only problem I read about was the poor light abilities of the scope. it shoots great with 375 to 400 grain bolts (20") and I compete with everybody including my brother with his wicked ridge and my dad with his Excalibur and host of others. the best part is my bow is quieter then theirs and lighter than theirs not to mention smaller and more compact. So far i have killed 2 does, one at 30 yard and the last one at 70 yards ( i don't recommend taking a shot that far out) but both shots went straight through and the deer didn't go but maybe 10 or 15 yards on both kills. don't hesitate on this bow, you wont be disappointed i assure you. This is not a bash on the other companies as i to felt you should always go with a more reputable company, but every reputable company wasn't automatically reputable when they started pushing their products and after further research, you will often find that some of these companies sell the exact same thing just a few cosmetic changes and a name change i.e. Ford vs Mazda, Toyota vs Lexus and Nissan vs Infinity. hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Spike

I recently purchased a SA sports Beowulf to upgrade from an SA sports Fever. I wouldn't be buying another one from the same company if I didn't think they had a good product and customer support.

The beowulf looks like it has very good quality. I've only fired about 60 shots from it, but everything is good so far.

I use the rope cocker, and an happy with it so far.

The trigger is good, the fit and finish is good. I really like the camo.

While the box says 360+ fps, I checked mine with a chronograph and got only 340 fps. I would assume that all manufacturers err on the high side when quoting the speeds.

I don't want to flame any other companies or products, but I am very happy with my beowulf!

I also got mine for a good price of $305 from sportsman's guide. I saw the price come down after I paid $325, but called them and they adjusted the price.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Spike

We sell it here in the UK as the Stealth and it is excellent for the money very Carbon Express like.