HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   What brand/model crossbow should I get. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/401556-what-brand-model-crossbow-should-i-get.html)

rodre01 09-21-2015 03:40 PM

What brand/model crossbow should I get.

I need some advise here.

I'm wandering what crossbow all you guys have used from experience(not one you've only used a few times).

I'm looking for something thats very durable, long lasting, reliable(adult size).

Something like a Barnett, TenPoint, PSE, Horton, Excalibur, Parker...????????????

I'm posting this in the crossbow section too by the way.

CalHunter 09-21-2015 05:16 PM

Your duplicate post in the bow section was deleted (refer to HNI rules about duplicate posts). You also might consider posting what you need the crossbow for (i.e. hunting, just target practice, competition, etc.) in order to get more responses and more specific advice.

CalHunter

rodre01 09-22-2015 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4219750)
Your duplicate post in the bow section was deleted (refer to HNI rules about duplicate posts). You also might consider posting what you need the crossbow for (i.e. hunting, just target practice, competition, etc.) in order to get more responses and more specific advice.

CalHunter

Oops OK. I'll look that up. And I'm wanting it for Hunting...

CalHunter 09-22-2015 08:42 AM

I don't hunt with a crossbow but even listing what kind of game you plan to hunt, terrain, style (treestand, spot and stalk, etc.) might influence what recommendations you receive. Generally the more information you can provide, the more people can tailor their advice to your specific situation. Hopefully this is helpful and some members who hunt with crossbows chime in with advice.

rodre01 09-23-2015 07:17 AM

Any advise? I hunt the back portion of this field. There's the blind(around where it is) and then behind it over to the left I'll probably put the tree stand. The field has a slop to it. I'll be hunting mainly deer and possibly turkey. Here is a pic.

Savage_99 09-23-2015 08:00 AM

I got a Barnett Recruit crossbow along with a styrofoam target for just over $200 with a rope cocking device

JGFLHunter 09-24-2015 02:24 AM

I just got a TenPoint Titan (600). I had a couple hundred dollars worth of gift cards at the time. I just got the bow alone so it didn't come with a cocking device, not a big deal (25 bucks for one). I got the pro elite bolts because the ones that come with it are garbage (50 bucks). I got the 4 blade Wac Em broadhead (30 bucks). The scope is great and was practically zero when sighting in. Knowing the warranty is lifetime is a plus. All the reviews I read and questions for people who have them, I just had to get one. Now that I have one, I would highly recommend one. If the Titan isn't in price range, I think Wicked Ridge is made by TenPoint but do not carry the lifetime warranty. I was able to harvest a 8pt opening day on my evening hunt last weekend.

Bionerd76 09-24-2015 11:53 AM

I bought a Ten Point Shadow Ultralight last year. I tore my bicep tendon and had anticipated buying a new bow. Instead, I couldn't stand to sit on the couch all season. So, I did my research, looked at ballistic testing of various crossbows, and settled on the TP Shadow Ultra light. The main draw besides the speed of the xbow was the accudraw mechanism for cocking. I couldn't cock the xbow due to my injury. So, I had to go with a cocking device and this one functioned flawlessly/effortlessly. The xbow itself is pretty spot on out of the box. I sighted it in rather quickly to 50yds. Took a deer at 52yds with great penetration. I was really rather surprised. I'm glad to be back to a compound, but IL will let me hunt with the xbow after the gun seasons. If I still have tags left, it will come out. I plan on having my kids hunt with it once they get of age.

One last thing, I found the cheapest price on the internet and took it to my local bow shop. They beat it by $75 and set it up for me too. Support your local shop!

Chris

one eye joe 09-27-2015 12:50 PM

Best bet is to go to a store with a large selection and try as many as possible (at least shoulder them if you can't shoot them). One or more will feel "right" and you should concentrate on those. There are a bunch of nice bows out there, and only you can tell what fits you best.

For long life performance with minimal maintenence, you should look at recurves like the Excalibur line. Simple and easy to work on. JMO

pricedo 10-14-2015 02:17 PM

Finally getting into bow hunting

Originally Posted by one eye joe (Post 4220701)
Best bet is to go to a store with a large selection and try as many as possible (at least shoulder them if you can't shoot them). One or more will feel "right" and you should concentrate on those. There are a bunch of nice bows out there, and only you can tell what fits you best.

For long life performance with minimal maintenence, you should look at recurves like the Excalibur line. Simple and easy to work on. JMO

I've had an Excalibur Exocet 175 recurve and a Reflex Grizzly (Hoyt) longbow that I bought years ago hanging around the house as dust-a-rounds and I decided I either had to either sell them off or get into bow hunting.

I'm told that they are older bows but will definitely do the job in regards to deer and moose hunting so I'm going to spend the winter getting to know the weapons and get my proficiency up to the hunting level of competence by next moose hunting season.

What made me decide to keep them was the much longer season allowed in my area for bow hunters.