Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
What brand/model crossbow should I get. >

What brand/model crossbow should I get.

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What brand/model crossbow should I get.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BTM
"the only con regarding excaliburs are they tend to be a lil heavy and awkward"

The Excaliburs I've looked at are at least a pound lighter than a comparable compound. They are a tad wider, however.
Agree on the weight but more than a tad wider on the width. Only Excal that is somewhat narrow is the micro and it's still a good bit wider than the narrow compounds.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Their are things that enter into it that we do not know , like age and size stand hight and size can also make a difference.
I have had all the major brands in the last 25 years and will try and give a few pointers.
10 point -very good quality, accurate, if you want a crank system they have by far the best- cons tend to be the heaviest in physical weight.
Excalibur- simple, reliable, accurate, easy to maintain- cons- wider difficult to maneuver in very tight places- to get top speed with the straight bow system takes heavy poundage.
Parker- The top of the line are excellent quality, the cheaper ones are not as good they are light accurate and reliable.
cons - The are fast enough but not up with the fastest.
Barnet - Some people like them the ones I had were not of high quality.
Horton - They make some good bows like Parker you get what you pay for they have a wide variety and some of them are very good.
Bow Tech very very good but the price is staggering.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have had a Horton and I currently have a Excalibur Matrix 355.. I love it.. I can't see me going back to a compound...
Old 07-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Micro 335/355 for deer hunting ...
Old 07-28-2016, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought my 10 point hunter xbow in 1996 and sold it last year I had to replace the cables and string 4 times and the cables on the crank cocker twice. I sold it for about 1/2 of what I paid for it. While they are quite expensive if maintained properly they do last.
I had a Excoset Excalibur for 10 years but I am 80 years old and it was getting difficult for me to cock it so I traded it in on a Parker Tornado which I find easier to cock and can get a good crank cock for if I need to in the next few years..
I can comfortably recommend any of these it depends on your needs, the only one I bought that I considered a mistake was a Barnett which my then wife picked out for herself and it was on the low end of what was available so it does not surprise me that we had many problems with it after she died of cancer I gave it away.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:07 AM
Spike

Good advice
Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Spike

#1 crossbow on the market Ten Point from there I would look at Parker, X-Force(carbon express) Darton, Horton. For a recurve style Excalibur is the best. I would personally stay away from Barrnett hard company to work with and today considered a box store bow.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:28 AM
Spike

Anyone familiar with Daryl Dixon's (The walking dead) crossbow ??
Old 08-25-2017, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

One bit of advice, don't get stuck with a 7 or 8 pound trigger pull. Its best by far to shoot what you are interested in before making a final decision.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd stay away from Barnett. Ive bought 3 things from Barnett and 2 didn't work.

check out the centerpoint sniper 370...cheap and works great. Check out the reviews.