Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
What brand/model crossbow should I get. >

What brand/model crossbow should I get.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What brand/model crossbow should I get.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bionerd76
I bought a Ten Point Shadow Ultralight last year. I tore my bicep tendon and had anticipated buying a new bow. Instead, I couldn't stand to sit on the couch all season. So, I did my research, looked at ballistic testing of various crossbows, and settled on the TP Shadow Ultra light. The main draw besides the speed of the xbow was the accudraw mechanism for cocking. I couldn't cock the xbow due to my injury. So, I had to go with a cocking device and this one functioned flawlessly/effortlessly. The xbow itself is pretty spot on out of the box. I sighted it in rather quickly to 50yds. Took a deer at 52yds with great penetration. I was really rather surprised. I'm glad to be back to a compound, but IL will let me hunt with the xbow after the gun seasons. If I still have tags left, it will come out. I plan on having my kids hunt with it once they get of age.

One last thing, I found the cheapest price on the internet and took it to my local bow shop. They beat it by $75 and set it up for me too. Support your local shop!

Chris
Yes thats what I did-I went to my local store even though I could have gotten it cheaper at Walmart(if they even had it in stock) and got a Barnett Wildcat c6. I have started sighting it in.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/cros...crossbows.html

Did you read this? I had a Barnett for about 10 minutes and took it back. Two of us bought them at the same time. His string exploded about the third shot before I even had mine out. Took it back did some research and ended up with a Wicked Ridge instead. Similar price range and a lot better quality. Good luck and hopefully you don't have any issues.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Call Wyvern Creations and talk to Dave. He is very knowledgable on both the Pros and Cons of crossbows. That is where I bought my Parker after talking to him twice, each time for about 20 minutes. Bought from him also for a good price.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Spike

the only con regarding excaliburs are they tend to be a lil heavy and awkward; but being recurve, the pro is less mechanically go wrong. they are made for hunters and pack a punch big time.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

I love my Excalibur Matrix 355.....Had a Horton... No comparison...
Old 10-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Spike

I have a Horton legend 175. They no longer make me but you can still buy them new online. Iv had mine a good ten years an it's been nothing but great. Just as accurate as the day I bought it. With no wind it shoots about a 3 inch group at 50 yards. Iv shot a deer at 65. An can hit a paper plate at 100. I'm sure that there a lot more crossbows that will do that also My bow shop did tell me that Horton an ten points where more durable than the Barnetts. Says he has "fixed" a lot more barnetts. But that is only my opinionand his experience. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/cros...crossbows.html

Did you read this? I had a Barnett for about 10 minutes and took it back. Two of us bought them at the same time. His string exploded about the third shot before I even had mine out. Took it back did some research and ended up with a Wicked Ridge instead. Similar price range and a lot better quality. Good luck and hopefully you don't have any issues.
Bad,Bad,Bad....
Old 10-29-2015, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by one eye joe
Best bet is to go to a store with a large selection and try as many as possible (at least shoulder them if you can't shoot them). One or more will feel "right" and you should concentrate on those. There are a bunch of nice bows out there, and only you can tell what fits you best.

For long life performance with minimal maintenence, you should look at recurves like the Excalibur line. Simple and easy to work on. JMO
I agree with this advice, go to the store and handle each one. When I purchased my first bow I walked into a local archery store and stated I wanted the "best bow" on the shelf. The owner could have sold me the most expensive one in the shop but didn't, instead he had me handle several models and asked which I liked the best. I selected a PSE back in the late 80's. The owner stated if I liked the bow, the feel and the fit I would be more apt to shoot it better and practice more.

I have stood by this methodology of bow selection for some time and it works, good luck!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't give enough detail are the deer your hunting north of the 36th parallel lol just kidding...

Dude there are a lot of crossbow options out there!!,

I'd say Parker... They make a pretty decent xbow for the money... If money was not a prob then I'd prob say ten point or the new Excalibur matrix line
Old 02-12-2016, 03:48 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

"the only con regarding excaliburs are they tend to be a lil heavy and awkward"

The Excaliburs I've looked at are at least a pound lighter than a comparable compound. They are a tad wider, however.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.