Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
question on arrows for crossbow >

question on arrows for crossbow

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

question on arrows for crossbow

Old 05-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Spike

Default question on arrows for crossbow

I just recently got a Barnett Brotherhood. I have been bowhunting for more than 20 years. Crossbow is new to me. I was wandering if it was possible to use some ICS Hunters and Goldtips I have that are to short for my Quest Rouge. I see they are thinner than the crossbow bolts I have but wandering if it's possible to convert them or not.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

You are better off staying with arrows specified by the maker, especially with Barnett Crossbows !

Last edited by OneBear; 05-30-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Spike

Crossbow arrows are larger diameter to allow the string to ride in the middle of the nock. I wouldn't recommend shooting a regular arrow shaft in your crossbow.

If you need some arrows, you might check out Deer Crossing arrows. Using code Joe53 at checkout will get a 10% discount.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Spike

Stick with the crossbow arrows.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crossbow "BOLTS have a much heavier spine than arrows. Your average crossbow is strung at 150 pounds. That is a LOT of weight to transfer into a bolt. Shooting too light of a projectile can and more than likely WILL result in one or 2 things. Projectile breaking, limbs cracking. And quite possibly head cracking from a limb failure. So the answer is, absolutely NOT. You can not use a regular arrow in a crossbow unless it is rated for 150 pound or above as well as hard cam if the crossbow you are using the M4. Those cams aren't particularly "radical" but they are considered "hard".
Old 05-23-2015, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Crossbow "BOLTS have a much heavier spine than arrows.
Much debate in the crossbow world as to whether they should be referred to as bolts or arrows. I prefer arrow since the only real difference is that they are shot from a crossbow. Modern arrows shot from crossbows have very similar qualities to those shot from vertical bows but are shorter and stiffer.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 AM
Spike

Thanks! I figured that I shouldn't but wanted to make sure. I have 2 dozen that are to short for my Quest Rogue so was just checking. Figured beings the bolts were larger in diameter that it was a no go.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe take your 2 dozen arrows to your archery dealer and see if they'll trade you, a half dozen bolts.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always used 2219 aluminum shafts to make arrows for my 150# PSE crossfire.
RR