Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Distance while hunting >

Distance while hunting

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Distance while hunting

Old 02-17-2015, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I let my huntin g area show me the yardage. Some stands its 18 yds or less in the thicker stuff. While couple of my other stands watching 2-3 trails i can get out 50 yds.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oldtimr did a great job of expanding on issues related to "how far". I started bow hunting in a serious manner in about 1962-63. I switched to a cross bow several
years back as many folks my age do because of injury, drop off in upper body strength, unsteadiness, etc. For sure using a cross bow as opposed to a compound, recurve or stick is no magic pill when it comes to being a lethal shot. If you get the right set-up as far as bolt and broadhead, and practice a bunch, you should be good to go at 40. In fact you should be unable to shoot at the same bull for fear of damaging bolts becasue your groups are so tight. And don't shy away from using a relatively heavy broadhead. For sure 125 gr. broadhead weight is of no disadvanage as far as I can tell. Weight forward on these shorter "arrows" has really proven to be a big advantage to my accuracy.

The big deal as I see it is that plays into distance as well is that one does not have to execute the drawing motion and then hold that draw weight .... and the rifle like weapon is fairly easy to hold very steady. For me, at least, these factors put me back in the tree stand for archery seasons.

I found it relatively easy to become a good shot with my cross bow, but make no mistake, I do a heck of a lot of practicing. Not as much as I did when I shot my compounds or recurves, but I still practice a good bit. I play around with 50-60-70 yard shots when I am piddling but I still stay around 40 yards as a max for trying to take deer. I did try a shot of about 75 yards at a coyote. Scared him but that's about all ..... over his back a few inches.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default In the east you have obstructions...

on the way to the target.
On a practice range I call the "bowling alley", I have two small trees some two feet apart, on a shot on the way to the target. Has nothing to do with distance.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

For me, the maximum range for my crossbow is 40 yards, just like it is for a regular bow in my hands. No matter how you slice and dice it, you're still shooting an arrow. One thing to remember is a crossbow bolt is lighter than a full size arrow. So in order to get the same penetration at a distance you need to use a heavier broadhead. I like 175 gr Slick-Tricks and due to the broadhead weight the arrow will begin to curve downward a lot more rapidly that a full size arrow that weighs them same amount fired from a regular bow. So I keep the distances for both at 40 yards.

If you want to try a farther shot, have at it. I'm letting them walk if they are over 40. I don't like chasing wounded game all over the county.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I let my huntin area dictate the range i can shoot my tick toters. Be it 10 yds or 60 yds
Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Both of my xbows are deadly accurate to well over 50yds but that doesn't help much when deer are likely to duck the bolt much over 30-35yds because of the noise! (If it's thick then obviously distances are much less than even that)

If I were in a situation where I wanted to shoot deer 35-50yds with archery equip then I'd use my Mathews Switchback XT instead of my xbows. That thing is silent and deadly accurate as well but I just refuse to shoot at deer that far away, just to much can happen with arrows/bolts at such distances. Punching paper vs hide at 50yds is two entirely different situations!
Old 07-16-2015, 08:24 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

I try to keep my shots under 35yds, there .to many things that can go wrong at longer distances.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Spike

This will be my first year with a crossbow an I've been asking the same thing, it seem 40yards is what everyone has told me also
Old 07-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your gonna try shooting past 30 yards I'd say buy a range finder also... Most experienced archers are prob only good at judging yardage accurately out to around 25-30 yards after that your gonna start missing or wounding... If you have to ask the question then I'd say you need a range finder
Old 08-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your hunting area will dictate the range you can get a clear shot on your game. Some places 1020 is all you can do. Other stands will let you reach out to 60-75 yds