Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
homemade flemish string jig for cossbow strings >

homemade flemish string jig for cossbow strings

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

homemade flemish string jig for cossbow strings

Old 11-27-2014, 03:52 AM
Spike

Default homemade flemish string jig for cossbow strings

confused0024:Hello friends, I'm a new member uk based. I'm also new to crossbows, as an hands-on sort I want to make my own strings it seem's impossible to find a Flemish jig that is laid out for shorter strings, so Is their anyone here that can help ?, I would appreciate a pic or diagram with measurements. I've read that a guy called Boo came up with a jig but Although I've gone to the webpage it doesn't show up on my laptop!!, If you can help I'd be in your debt, you can email,or pm, me Thank's Yanks, had to say it!!, no offence guy's. bodger

Last edited by bodger; 11-27-2014 at 03:55 AM. Reason: want to add quote at bottom of post
Old 11-28-2014, 09:34 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

There's tons of plans on the web. I'd go with one that is laid out according to actual string length. You can adjust the board for shorter strings by drilling more holes for adjustment pegs.

Problem is short Flemish strings are a pain to make properly, primarily getting the back-twist correct.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:50 AM
Spike

Thanks LBR, I cant see how to adjust a Flemish jig enough for 26" strings, there's not enough space on the board, if I lengthen the board I lengthen the string and so it goes, I've been in touch with Don Katsumi and he didn't adapt the Flemish twist jig, he made his own jig, (and considering the quality of his crossbow strings), who can fault it. So my problem is solved, thanks for your guidance LBR. Appreciated The ox is slow but the earth is patient

Last edited by bodger; 11-29-2014 at 04:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

For a string that short, you really don't need a full board--a board with two nails in it will work just fine.

Figure out how much you want to twist back into the string to form the loop--I like around 8". You want a finished string 26" long. 26"+16"=42". Divide by 2=21". Drive two nails in a board 21" apart, wrap the strands and cut. After you build the loop and get down toward the end of the bundle, start dropping a strand or two every twist to taper it off.