Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Got my first buck with stealth ss >

Got my first buck with stealth ss

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Got my first buck with stealth ss

Old 11-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. The SS is my go to for compound and my go to recurve is a Matrix.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67
Re-read his post and he didnt say two of the three opened!! They obviously opened due to the damage in the photo. My confusion is, what else was the broadhead suppose to do beyond the 6inch hole it cut in the side on an apparent hard quartering shot!?!

Some people just can't look at a picture and tell wth happened... Broadhead worked fine
Old 12-31-2014, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rafsob
This BH only has 3 blades!!!!!!!!!

Plus the arrow was sticking out of the deers body. This is likely the reason for the damage. I hope you are more alert in the woods!!!

???????

So the shaft alone cut through both hide & ribs to make that huge entry hole? ? Sure.......not so much bro.

Rather I expect that the blades DID open properly, but on impact with large bone deep into the wound, probably the far shoulder/leg, the blades then snaped forward mostly closed. Or when he withdrew the arrow just being draw out through a bunch of meet/hide ect closed them.

I'd also ask if he was making use of the standard Spitfire BH, or the newer made for crossbows Spits. I've tried the standard Spits for compound bows through my own Scorpyd 165 & a few/some open in flight. When that happens you get a sort of Bugs Bunny, Road Runner type flight plan........not good at all.

But I've had no issues firing the Spitfire 1.75" cut 125 gr. crossbow Spitfire Max BH from / through my Scorpyd 165. My bow throws a 452 gr. arrow & BH at 414 fps measured with a crony set 4' in front of my crossbow. I bought 3 packs of those BH & ALL OF THEM work correctly.

Same bow with a 403 gr. target arrow shoots 427 fps.

That huge cut is due to the very sharp angle of the shot taken. One of the blades skimmed along unzipping that spike's side as the arrow entered on a shallow angle.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

bravo2,

Congrats on a nice young buck! Much very good eating there for you & yours, enjoy!

If you're making use of the original Spitfire BHs intended for compound verticle bows I'd suggest you may wish to buy a pack of the Spitfire Max crossbow BH. You can get them in both 100 & 125 gr.

I've not used the 100 gr. BH, but do have and use the 125gr. type. They've not failed me.

Attempts to make use of the original Spits made for compound bows resulted in some strange, though interesting, flight paths. One or 2 of the blades open in flight results in a arrow flying like those the Wiley Coyote gets......swerving off course & coming in to stick him in the b...........LOL.