Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

speed crazy

Old 08-19-2014, 06:16 AM
Spike

Default speed crazy

As crossbow hunting has been legalized again in ny I'm looking to get into a good crossbow for hunting. The question becomes how much does is enough? Is there an appreciable difference between 385fps/135ftlbs versus 350fps/109 ftlbs?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, the deer won't know the difference. Typically, as you chase the speed demon, other consequences arise. I'd recommend just getting a bow (with your desired characteristics) that fits you well. Get some good arrows and practice. Select some legal BH's that fly good and go hunting.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
No, the deer won't know the difference. Typically, as you chase the speed demon, other consequences arise. I'd recommend just getting a bow (with your desired characteristics) that fits you well. Get some good arrows and practice. Select some legal BH's that fly good and go hunting.
Agreed. Seeking speed is a sport in itself. For hunting, you want accuracy. Accuracy will kill more deer than speed. You can't miss them fast enough to kill them.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Spike

Default much obliged

This was what I was thinking, even 350 fps is more than enough to prevent most deer jumping the string. I'll get some upgrades to vibration reduction and go hit the woods. Went with barnett brotherhood, I'll let you all know how it is.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Good advice given, I'd take it.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

I think it's just a money making racket. One of my favorite ones to hunt with is in the 290 range with heavy arrows. I hunt on very high pressure public land. They're not quick enough to get out of the way.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

I would agree with these guys having a Stryker 380 is probably overkill. A 350 or even less will do the job for probably less money.
daddus
Old 08-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

What you should want is the best broad head you can buy. One that will slice right through the deer. Pounds of energy doesn't have any relevancy, I would think. I believe the weight of the arrow shaft is more important then impact energy! Ideal set up is the weight of the arrow and the best broad head is what I would want.

Of course these are just my thoughts and conclusions bought about by my experiences. Good hunting all!!!