Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Crossbow Practice Target Help >

Crossbow Practice Target Help

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow Practice Target Help

Old 02-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Spike

Default Crossbow Practice Target Help

I have an older model PSE Starfire 2 crossbow. It is 150Lbs, which is 80 lbs more than my bow. I had an old archery target, the bolts nearly went through it (also hard to pull bolts and arrows out), so i switched to bales of straw, the bolts go almost completely through that. So i tried some old dock foam, this semi worked, as the bolt stopped one hand length from the fetching, but is also hard to pull out.

I need a target that stops the bolts from going too far into it, is fairly easy to remove the bolts one handed, and reusable. So that i can properly sight the crossbow in, as i have no idea what it is sighted for, i have to aim lower than where i want to hit at 30-40 yds.

I've seen some targets for bows that use cardboard, carpet, plastic wrap, and clothes. But i have no idea how these would work with a crossbow bolt.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use 3 targets to practice. My bag and "block" type targets just happen to be a "Yellow Jacket" brand, supposedly rated for cross bolts. No particular reason I chose Yelow Jacket other than the local archery shop had a deep mark down after the 2012 season. And I have an older standing deer target. Forget which maker.

The point of impact for both field points and broadheads of my set-up just happen to be essentially identical, so I do probably 90% of my practice on the bag. It has held up as well as can be expected. The "bulls eyes" are all about shot out, but the stuffing stops the bolts fine.

I "tune" my broadheads using the Yellow Jacket block type target. Then I work my poor old deer target over when season gets close. That baby is about shot out. Bolts are easily removed from the Yellow Jacket targets but that is not the case with my deer target. It was an el-cheapo, and some times it is heck extracting the bolts. It is due for replacement.

I figure you can make a decent bag target out of a burlap sack stuffed with rags. But I am too lazy for that!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Spike

Default Target

I bought me a Field Logic 18" Black Hole i found on Ebay for $58 & Free S&H it stops my bolts from my Covert CX1 & it's 185lb draw on it check it out & see for yourself they are still listed I got everything off of Ebay My CX1 $419 & free S&H doz Of the CE Blue Streak 20" Bolts & a Doz of the CE XT Dual Serrated Broad Heads & my Simmons LRF600 Rangefinder NIB for $90 & Free S&H matter a fact everything bought was free S&H & that saved me a bundle I even bought my Midland GX1050VP4 2 way radios for $84.68 that seller had to charge me VA sales tax because i live in Va I got excellent deals on every single item i bought & all i need now is a ground blind I am disabled & climbing a tree stand is out of the question so i am looking at a Ameristep Brick House it's $99 & free S&H also my cousin owes me $100 on that rifle i sold him & i am takingthat to buy my blind .
Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use bags from Third Hand Archery stuffed with rags stops even my speed bow COLD. No need for broadhead target, my Slick Tricks and Spitfires fly just like field points, antiquates practice with 'heads.
http://www.eders.com/product.php?pro...Fafm7Aod3HwAOQ

Last edited by Cossack; 03-23-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: added site
Old 03-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by trapper444
I bought me a Field Logic 18" Black Hole i found on Ebay for $58 & Free S&H it stops my bolts from my Covert CX1 & it's 185lb draw on it check it out & see for yourself they are still listed I got everything off of Ebay My CX1 $419 & free S&H doz Of the CE Blue Streak 20" Bolts & a Doz of the CE XT Dual Serrated Broad Heads & my Simmons LRF600 Rangefinder NIB for $90 & Free S&H matter a fact everything bought was free S&H & that saved me a bundle I even bought my Midland GX1050VP4 2 way radios for $84.68 that seller had to charge me VA sales tax because i live in Va I got excellent deals on every single item i bought & all i need now is a ground blind I am disabled & climbing a tree stand is out of the question so i am looking at a Ameristep Brick House it's $99 & free S&H also my cousin owes me $100 on that rifle i sold him & i am takingthat to buy my blind .
this might possibly be the longest sentence... ever
Old 03-30-2014, 02:59 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Ten point has a bolt puller which helps greatly removing the bolt from any target. Called a Bednar Puller.

JW
Old 05-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

????????????????
Old 07-25-2016, 09:25 PM
Spike

Default XBow Practice target

I got a 55" TV box from behind a Rent-A-Center and filled it with cheap Chinese boxes folded flat that I got from the dumpster behind Harbor Freight-all free. It is way too big to miss and stops everything my Parker will shoot at +/-350fps. I use a rubber mallet to tapon the box while pulling the bolts and they come right out.