Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
XBow Scopes - What do you recommend? >

XBow Scopes - What do you recommend?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

XBow Scopes - What do you recommend?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Spike

Default XBow Scopes - What do you recommend?

I have Xbow scope questions. I have not been very impressed with the scopes that are offered by Ten Point or Excalibur. I am not a fan of the "dot" scopes. I would like to have a variable power scope. I have found the Hawke XB30 (a bit pricey) but appears to be in line with what I am looking for. However, would like to see if any of you have and what you think.

What scopes have you had the most luck with?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hawke, contact Wyvern Creations 603 659 0575 David has
the best advice on anything about crossbows and his service
and prices are second to none.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Spike

coyote170 has given you some good advice...David (at Wyvern) has forgotten more about crossbows than most will ever learn
Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

As you may have figured out if you used either of Excals 'Zones' which are 2.5-4x variables, the magnification setting is what makes the addition aim points 'on' for 30, 40, and 50.

If you change the power setting on a variable, you will also change the poi for any reference point [such as duplex's] while the crosshair one stays the same.

Danny Miller, USA warranty rep had some Leupold Vx II's converted to crossbow reticules, I have a 2x7. It's not ideal for hunting as it has small lines and diamonds for 30 and 50 yds. It's great for testing groups ect on 7x. Mine needs about 2.5-3x for the other ranges to be 'on'. They are no longer being converted as the co doing them closed up shop, IIRC.

He currently offers Leupold vaiable w/ duplex hairs that will adj to 3 ranges. You can check w/ him, phone only, at [740] 483-2312.

My pick for a hunting xbow scope is the Vari-zone, don't care for the clutter in some of the others out there.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Spike

Awshucks,
I will stop by Cabelas again and check out the Ten Point scopes - I must have missed that they were variable power. Luckily I live 10 minutes from it and can really research all of them based on feedback I get here. Thank you.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think Ten Pt scope is a fixed 3x it was the Varizone awshucks said were 2.5-4x Ther isn't a quality CB being made by any company like yer wanting. Many of us have looked fer one fer yrs. Dan Miller getting some Leupolds has been the best thing so far. Idel scope would be 1.5x5 with #4 recticle set fer 2 pts of aim fer hunting. My imho
Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bonner1
Awshucks,
I will stop by Cabelas again and check out the Ten Point scopes - I must have missed that they were variable power. Luckily I live 10 minutes from it and can really research all of them based on feedback I get here. Thank you.
Last I knew, Danny had [1] of the converted VX II's left, a 1x4x, which should work fine on any Excal. Kinda salty, but no longer available and always sale-able, lol. These were the American made models, btw.

The only 10 pt I'm aware of is non adj at3x and has farther range marks on xhair for a certain weight and velocity arrow. I'm sure you can get 'minute if seer' accuracy from them, 10 pt is a good company!

Cabelas can be beat on prices w/ little effort, btw.

I sent you a pm
Old 09-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer my Hawke SR reticle scope. You can even use their software to give you exact yardages for each circle. They have 5 different light settings for each color of red and green. You can even print out your yardages and tape them to your xbow, so you never forget which pin is what. Well worth the money. I got mine at Wyvern Creations.