Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Sighting in my Barnett scope >

Sighting in my Barnett scope

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Sighting in my Barnett scope

Old 09-03-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tell us more about the arrows you're shooting. Weight, FOC, size of vanes.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by srwshooter
if you are off alittle side to side at 10 ,you will be off more at 20. sight in at 20 and then shoot at 10 just to see how far you are off. i have the same setup and mine shoot great out to 50yds.
That's what I was going to do today, but the lawn needed to be mowed so I will do that tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Cossack
Tell us more about the arrows you're shooting. Weight, FOC, size of vanes.
They came with the bow, they are Barnett 22" carbon shaft 13.78 grains per inch matched with a 125 grain point. the vanes are 3.75" long but .5 inch high.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Spike

My same exact bow with a red dot shoots real well and has no issues shooting out to 40 yards. I hand **** the bow as the crank rope ****er is just to timely for me. ( it is for sale by the way). Check your limbs make sure they are not cracked, look everything over real good.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Spike

I found this http://www.crossbowmen.com/index.htm...-mounting.html this may help
Old 10-30-2011, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt from the ground with mine. I sight the scope in with the top line on at 20 yards. That's it. I'm done.

I've taken four deer with that setup in the last two years.

I don't get into all that "this line for ________and this line for _______" stuff. I set up my blinds and plan on taking no shot beyond 20-25 yards. Stream line your approach. Don't take shots longer than that yardage; sight in your scope using one line and one line only sighted for that specific yardage (anything shorter than that is going to work as well--and probably anything another 5 yards or so beyond is going to work. It's a good overall, solid distance to sight.)

Go from there. If you tree hunt, I'd also recommend sighting from that tree stand or at least being that same height up. I've never understand the concept of sighting in a bow standing on the ground and then hunting 20 feet up in the air. Sight your bow from 20 feet up if you're going to hunt that way.

Anyway. This approach has worked very very well for me.

I shoot Easton Powerbolts tipped with 125 NAP Spitfires. I get golf-ball sized groupings at 20-25 yards.

Last edited by Michlw39; 10-30-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go 25 yds w/ the 1st hair and forget the rest. unless Bnett has changed the scope mount on the Q400, becareful w/ it, as it's only a 3/8" dovetail aka .22 mount.

If you want/need the other ranges to be 'on', check out an Excal Vari-zone, it's easily doable, they adj for 20-50, w/ a 10 for reference that doesn't adj.

Should you go to tree stands, just check your poi from an elevated position, my emax was spitting them out about same as a Q400 and my tests showed very little poi shift at longer ranges on unsloped ground.

I always use a c0cking rope.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Spike

I have the barnett jackal which i really seem to enjoy exept for some trouble sighting when i began with my 3 dot scope. According to the directions on mine,simply because i have 3 dots instead of some scopes haveing 4 or 5, you should start at 10 to get it close, then sight from 20 yards for that top dot/crosshair and the rest should be on in ten yard incriments if conditions are right meaning are you using all barnett equipment :/. Mine seemed to work just like that exept my 30 and 40 yard dots seemed to be hitting all a bit low, But it does not worry me much because they were only off by half an inch and yet all in the "killzone".Plus my hunting tips will do whatever the hell they want regardless of my efforts sighting. Anyways if sighting at 10 does not work try sighting from farther back. Btw the
"c0cking" rope is great, although it may be slightly more time-consuming, thats only a problem if you need that second shot. Hopefully i would think that not the case seeing that these crossbows are high quality animal slayers.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Spike

I shoot a Jackel also. The arrows I got with mine are 20". I believe I read a thread that Barnett recomends 20" with the Jackel but some packages were shipped with 22" arrows. A call to Barnett customer service might help, they are good to work with. Good luck, mine shoots really well, I use a Excalibur scope, 20'' carbon x arrows, 125gr. fixed broadheads.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Spike

Two things. First - is our scope one perfectly straight? If the crosshairs aren't perfectly vertical/horizontal it can cause problems. Then, are you sure you are keeping the limbs perfectly horizontal. That can cause left/right variance. The shooting high can be that the second pin isn't actually right for your arrow/tip/speed combination. I have also seen a scope that had so much paralex that if you didn't place your head exactly the same place on the stock each time it could cause problems. All problems will magnify the farther out you shoot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.