Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Barnett Predator >

Barnett Predator

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Barnett Predator

Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Spike

Default Barnett Predator

Hello: I'm new to the xbow shooting sport. I'm looking to buy. I've read from previous posts that some of Barnetts xbows were not very popular. However, they have a new model on the market that appears to be good and I like some of its features. Model is the Predator with a listed velocity of 375 fps. In the same price range as the Hortons. I have not actually seen the Predator. Just marketing information. Anyone have any first hand experience with this bow? Is the advertised velocity of 375 fps accurate? Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Barnett Predator

Hi Stevevan, I have had first hand experience with the new Barnett Predator AVI, and it aint purtty. I bought the bow after a friend recommended it highly and bragged about the speed and distance it could produce. I sold my TenPointe Titan TL-4 and bought the Barnett.The website does not tell you about the amount of shots their strings can handle. It was not until I purchased the bow and looked into the owners manual that I saw where it stated that you can only get about 100 shots on their string. Well I dont know about you all, but I can shoot almost that many shots in one weekend!! I shot the bow about fifty some odd times and the string blew up in my face and the cables had to be replaced as well. I had the string and cables replaced with Barnetts and only got in six or seven shots when the second string blew up in my face. I have only been shooting X bows for three years, but had never had that happen before. I have since purchased another Tenpointe, the Titan TL-7, and have shot at least 150 shots through it without any trouble. I am currently working with the company I bought the Barnett from to get my money back.I am waiting for the money to transfer to my account as I write this. I dont know if my bow was a lemon or if the design is poor, but I have heard similar stories and my friend has since had to return his barnett for new string and cables. He has not had a string explode...yet.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

On the strings........
No idea why they say the 100 shot thing.... My Quad 400 AVI "says" the same thing...
At the time of trading the Quad 400 up to a Quad 400 AVI (long story!), I'd bet I had over 250 shots thru the otiginal string and cables...with very little noticable wear. It would most likely go to at least 500 shots! And no other problems with the bow.

My only problem with Barnett was the trigger on the original Quad 400. Fixed it myself...no problems after that.

Shoots as accurate as most any of todays bows.

Hell....Bowtech had a big recall on their Desert Stryker too!

On Barnett themselves. My take, there's a coupla/few people that are trying to bring up the Barnett name, and some that are just there for a paycheck.

If you get one that works well the first 10 shots, you'll be happy. Otherwise...........
My current Quad 400 AVI is well balanced, easy to shoot, as accurate as most any modern bow out there.
Though, that all said...mostly because of what I do for a living, I'm not a fan of the plastic barrel "many" companies are using now.

Mike
Old 10-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you can do better than the Barnet.
Look at Excal,Horton,Tenpoint.etc
Old 10-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Spike

i love my predator............i bought mine around 4 months ago.....i have owned hortons,excals,and the desert stryker.....this is the fastest xbow i have ever shot and i have probably shot it 250 times on the same string......i had a stryker last year that turned out to be a lemon but i understand they have those trigger problems fixed now...for the price i think its a great deal compared to the strykers,ten points and such....i have the top line shooting 2 inches high at 20 yds and up to 40 it is dead on and extremely accurate.....hope my input helps
Old 10-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've looked at that model, and sometimes I entertain the idea of getting one. The Predator seems to be getting much better reviews than the Quad 400. A lot of people around here use barnett and are totally satisfied with them, but none of the guys I know who have them practice very much either, so I don't know how the strings would hold up toseveral practice sessions and then a season of hunting. They are VERY fast,and I like the balance they have, but Barnett lost me as a customer after the one I bought.Since there is undeniable evidence that at least some of their bows turn out great, I won't bash them. If you like the look and feel of the Predator, you may be very satisfied with it.

In my opinion, I think there are more solid investments out there. I use a Horton, and the only problem I've had with it is the red dot scope that it came with. It's a lower end model though, and some problem with cheap electronics is almost to be expected. To each their own. For what it's worth, my next one will probably be an Excal.