Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Jaguar Crossbow Package??? >

Jaguar Crossbow Package???

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Jaguar Crossbow Package???

Old 07-14-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Jaguar Crossbow Package???

I want to buy my father a x-bow. He wants to start hunting deer with me during archery season. I've been talking to him about getting a new Phenix Xcal, but he noticed this bow in one of the catalogs laying around the house. Does anyone have any comments on this model. I've never sean it but it seams like a good price for what you get. Just looking for some comments. I'm still pushing for the Excal, but he asked me to resarch this bow.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=444228

Thanks for any input!!

Old 07-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Jaguar Crossbow Package???

I have never seen one, that I know of. Did a little Google snooping and found out it's from a European distributer called Armex. Found one review on a forum that said it's a decent entry level crossbow. Not great, but decent.

Just going by looks, it looks like one of the Asian-made Barnett knockoffs. I found absolutely nothing on country of origin, so that's just pure speculation.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

If it IS a European bow, while it still could be a knock off, it "may"have a little better overall quality than a Chinese bow.

On one hand...for that price...it may not be a bad deal.
On the other hand...what if something breaks? If it were made in the US, it'd bea two week+ turn around to fix if something broke...or didn't work well (trigger). Sending it to where ever in Europe...good luck getting back sometime soon.

If you want to stay inexpensive, Horton and the like have cheaper ($200 range) bows. Even Barnett has their Panzer bow. Personally...I would go for that (Barnett Panzer)before anything outside the US.

Mike
Old 07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

statement made by Bill T of Excal about crossbows in general:
"It's not how well it shoots, it's how long it shoots well."
Buy a name brand, imho.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks guys! I'll probably end up buying the Excal.
What's the best place to buy one from, I noticed ebay has the Phoenix for about $390+shipping. I know he will also need some accessories to go with the bow.
Thanks!!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might try Wyvern Crossbows,great prices,terrific service,something
you may not get on ebay.Hes on this forum shoot him a pm he will get
back to you.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

i went and looked at that CB, abit odd looking and with an arrow slot guard and only 25" total wide limbs! bet a dollar to a dime their limbs will not hold up!
excals phoenix or maybe the 10 pt. curve would be better choice of CB in recurve style.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen them and have talked to some dealers adn owners when it comes to crossbows, you want to make sure that you stay with in 290-310fps to be more accurateand be able to take a longer bolt, i think the longest bolts are 21-22 inches. Just what i have heard from dealers as well as those who hunt with any crossbow.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:03 PM

Thanks Guys!!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

I have seen them and have talked to some dealers adn owners when it comes to crossbows, you want to make sure that you stay with in 290-310fps to be more accurateand be able to take a longer bolt, i think the longest bolts are 21-22 inches. Just what i have heard from dealers as well as those who hunt with any crossbow.
You might want to check that data out some more. The world record moose was taken in Canada at alot slower fps than your parameters w/ a 20" arrow. Fps has little to do w/ accuracy, and actually the higher you go w/ fps, the harder it is to maintain accuracy after a point w/ bheads. I would probably not live long enough to clean all the game taken w/ 18- 20" arrows at 260 fps or less, lol. Neither would you!

Quick Reply: Jaguar Crossbow Package???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.