HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Why shoot a xbow over compound? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/242054-why-shoot-xbow-over-compound.html)

jerseyhunter 04-12-2008 02:31 PM

Why shoot a xbow over compound?

Not to start anything, but since they will soon be legal in my state. Why do you choose to shoot a compound vs. compound or trad.? Other than health reasons of course.

ranger56528 04-12-2008 02:42 PM

RE: Why shoot a xbow over compound?

just another type of bow to use.....I got my Crossbow's due to shoulder injury but now that its fixed I will still use it during gun season because its legal now in my state.Now I can shot compound,recurve,longbow and crossbow.Best of all four worlds.

Dnk 04-12-2008 02:51 PM

Well I choose the crossbow as well as my compounds, recurves and long bow. I am more prone to use the crossbow when wear more clothing. For me that late season use of the crossbow is more about being moral. I am much less likely to wound an animal. Something that the "elite" should consider when shutting up!

KLV 04-12-2008 03:09 PM

It's not really an either or proposition. I shoot compound bow (Pope and Young member, though a little disgruntled with their selfish anti-hunter/anti-crossbow attitude at the moment) and crossbow.

There really is little difference, especially with all the 80% let-off compound bows that do away with a lot of the movement of drawing, since they can be held so long at full draw ([eg.] my dad and I timed a woman who drew to early, hold her compound for 4 min 11 sec before shooting an antelope). I shoot a compound with only 60% let-off and if I hunt from a blind-which I've only done once-I think it's more manuverable than a crossbow. From a tree stand, again, 80% let-off compound bow vs. crossbow: no difference.

Crossbows are just plain fun to shoot. I don't think I've enjoyed anything (and I shot handguns competitively) as much as I enjoy hunting and shooting crossbows. It' a hobby I will carry long into my old age.

jerseyhunter 04-12-2008 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Something that the "elite" should consider when shutting up!

I hope that wasn't aimed at me.

Dnk 04-12-2008 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: jerseyhunter

Thanks for the replies.

Something that the "elite" should consider when shutting up!

I hope that wasn't aimed at me.
Not even close. The "elite" won't try to educate themselves and or ask questions. They are ignorant (as in don't know) and will remain ignorant and pontiferous. In other words, they know nothing about crossbows and when they speak of them they say a lot about nothing. You, on the other hand want to know. It shows a willing, open mind that is willing to educate themselves.

ranger56528 04-12-2008 05:32 PM

BROVO...

wabi 04-13-2008 08:49 AM

I shoot recurve, longbow, compound and crossbow.
All are legal for archery season here, and all have their place in my hunting.
The longbow or recurve can't be beat for a quick shot at undetermined range, so for stillhunting they are my choice. The compound (with sights) or crossbow require yardage be know for best accuracy, so for a blind or stand they get chosen.
My #1 choice would be a recurve for stillhunting and the crossbow for blind/stand hunting simply because I shoot them the best.

Urban Legend 04-13-2008 11:21 AM

As you can see most of us crossbow guys aren't really crossbow only guys. We are bowhunters. We hunt with what we feel like hunting with and those of us that are lucky enough have the option of choosing what type of bow we want to hunt with when we want to hunt with it. The crossbow just give the hunter yet another effective means of harvesting game.

RockinChair 04-13-2008 05:06 PM

I started shooting a crossbow 3 years ago, when I was 16. I started with a crossbow because I wanted a longer season, more time in the woods, and to introduce myself to bow hunting. I still crossbow hunt but and will for the rest of my life, God-willing. But I also want to take up the compound sometime too. Even still, I'll stil have my trusty crossbow.

Its like UL said, we arent just crossbow guys, we are bowhunters too.