Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Why shoot a xbow over compound? >

Why shoot a xbow over compound?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Why shoot a xbow over compound?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why shoot a xbow over compound?

ORIGINAL: wabi

I shoot recurve, longbow, compound and crossbow.
All are legal for archery season here, and all have their place in my hunting.
X2...I utilize everything I have.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

These type of threads have really evolved into something worth reading, the last year alone has been a monumental step toward people taking the time to educate themselves on other forms of archery with an open mind.
I too shoot compound and a crossbow. The only difference I can find in the two variations of the sport are the people who participate in them, crossbow people love archery, compound people love themselves.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:02 PM

The main reason for me was no one around to show me how to shoot a compound when I was in high school. When I was fourteen I think, a friend sold me a old browning compound for fourty bucks. That spring dad spent alot of time at the pro shop getting alot of undirectional advice, try this, try that, you have to find what works for you and your bow, BLA BLA BLA. No one in my family had ever archery hunted. After alot of money, at least to my dad, and me having not the best of luck he had enough and a guy at work told him to get me a crossbow. That Christmas he bought me a Horton Supermag and I have been using one ever since. There was one guy that we knew that said he would help me, but would not take me out since it was "his" spot and did not want to mess up "his" season. Chances are if there was someone that would have spent time with me I would probably be a compound only guy, but dad put the CB in my hands and I have been just as happy the last seventeen years. My main goal is to spend most of October and November in the woods, and also havedeer meat to eat. If the DNR said I could do it with a 50-BMG for four months, well I might do that to! I haveno desire to do it the hard way or prove something to myself, I like the woods and I like deer meat.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Jersey Hunter. Am sure you recognize me from NJH. I've been a xbow advocate for almost a year, now. As you already know, I am a non-hunter, but I am "pro" hunting, fishing, etc. For myself, I hope to get a xbow, eventually. Wish to use one for target shooting. Have been shooting handguns for 28 yrs, but would like to expand on that with a bow and the xbow would be the only kind of bow that I might be able to use. I am unable to pull back the min Wt required using a compound. And, of course, I could never pull back using a recurve, but they are beautiful bows.

Have shot 4 xbows, but so far haven't found the right one for me. Problem is they have been too heavy. Hope to be able to try the Vixen and Phoenix, both by Excalibur. And, who knows, I might even get out in the woods, yet. Have a few nephews who want to get me out there, LOL!! As of now, I have some personal commitments that I have to tend to before I even attempt to get out there. I would also like to see "all" bowhunters unite to have a large voice against anti groups!! Kathy
Old 04-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why shoot a crossbow instead of a compound?

So I can gripe about the tree limbs being too close together instead of too low. [8D]
Old 04-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started shooting Bows in 1958, i have always had an open mind on them. I had a friend in grade school who had and old CB. we would shoot it and my Longbow. I thought all of the Bows were the cats meow and still do. I haven't shot any Bows other than my CB's now for 2 years. Regular Bows put bad strain on my back and shoulder. []
Old 04-26-2008, 05:19 PM

As an avid bowhunter for 43 years and literal archery fanatic, I put crossbows in a league by themselves for one simple reason and that is: If we live long enough, most of us will get to the point we won't be able to draw avertical bow of any type and the crossbow is a life saver for bowhunters at that point in our lives. NO other bow can do that. Just as important, if not more, is what crossbows do for handicapped bowhunters. No other bow can do that. There is nothing more important IMHO than to keep bowhunters in the sport doing what they love to do. Bottom line:-)

With the above in mind, I find it almost impossible to believe how crossbows are frowned upon by some bowhunting groups that seem perfectly happy to shut older bowhunters out of the sport. I've tried to come up with one word to describe their thinking and can't. It's beyond belief for me how inconsiderate and uncaring folks in our sport can be even as sport hunting continues to be ever increasingly bombarded by anti-hunting groups that are dedicated to end all hunting. Guess which one will be the first to go?

I'm in a local archery club , and have been off and on for about 40 years,and nowmade to feel as an outcast by club leaders because I can't shoot a vertical bow anymore due to arthritis in my neck and shoulder. My 2 Bear takedown recurves hanging in my shop constantly remind me of my younger years and how much archery has meant to me. What a shame. I'll keep fighting the fight in an effort to get more reasonable folks to over ride theselfish attitudes some in their midst have.

With that said, I'd still be shooting my recurves and longbows if I could.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Moonkryket, nice pic and good post. I am glad you are still able to hunt using a xbow. As you say, some bowhunting groups just don't seem to want to unite with all hunters regarding this issue. It is a damn shame, IMHO. I am part of a newly formed pro xbow org, and we are for all hunter's rights. You might be familiar with it, and if not, check out the site. It is noted in my sig below. Best wishes and good luck to you and hope you can continue to hunt for years ahead.
"K"
Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 PM

Keep us posted on your progress. Strength is in numbers. Thanks! I still have2 Bear Mag Takedownsfor sale in 60 and 65 lbs :-(

Old 04-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Excalibur that I bought after having elbow surgery 2 years ago. I have kept it, and still use it because there is a couple of well traveled deer funnels in my area that have no trees big enough to put a stand in. I just made a ground blind and use the Excalibur in those areas.