Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 What IS the best crossbow? >

What IS the best crossbow?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What IS the best crossbow?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What IS the best crossbow?

most that just get bow to hunt only look at 1 thing,PRICE.

next group looks at PRICE/SPEED that hunt ONLY.

last group who hunt/shoot target look at PRICE/SPEED/WEIGHT/MAINTANCE.

1st one, i see all time.

other 2, i read on here.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wyvern Crossbow

"im getting me a excalibur vixen"

Ya know..that brings upsomething that happend today (again) A customer contemplating a crossbow was not interested in a great shooting bow simply because it did not break that "300fps barrier" as I call it. IMO the Vixen and Phoenix are great bows that not only shoot plenty fast enough to do the job, but are quieter an more stable than the higher poundageExcals. Since this thread is about the "BEST crossbow" thing, what is all your opinions as to how much that 300fps + thing has to do with your choices??? Very curious as to youropinions....

Wyvern
Very interesting point Wyvern. Personally I want a bow that spits out the arrow/broadhead combination of my choice at around 275 ft/sec. I do not want 300 ft/sec simply because it can become a pain in the beehind. I've found that when I approach that speed everything seems less forgiving with broadheads. That goes for compounds as well. Everything seems to get too noisey for my liking as well. My Exocet 200 wears a 40 strand Xcel string with three sets of cat whiskers for that reason. I like the way it shoots in all respects!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've found with the Excaliburs it's better to tune them down a bit rather than seek maximum velocity. I shoot an Excalibur Phoenix, andI've found with an arrow a bit over minimum (380 - 400 grains) anda DNK (Boo) string with catwhiskers I get a lot less noise & vibration and speed is still good. Haven't even bothered to verify velocity, as I don't really care -because it gets the job done on deer, but I'm guessingnear290fps. It shoots as smoothly and quietly as I can get it tuned to shoot and it has let me put every deer I've pulled the trigger on in the freezer so I'm leaving it as-is!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

In defense of Horton again (my opinion is obviously biased) they really dont advertise speed as a sales pitch. I have the Hunter which is their best model and it shoots up to 320 fps. Horton does have a recurve ( cant remember the name) that shoots about 350 i think, but I dont believe Horton falls into the "need for speed" category.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:28 AM

those parker cyclones? what will those go for? i love the pistol grip

Old 03-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot the Excals for 5-6 years now, so I guess it would be easy to figure out what my choice of XBows are...I love the ExoMax 225.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

I rather have the Stryker than any other Crossbow so that makes it the best for me.

Sag.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will always stay with my Excal ExoMax, I have never had a problem with it, but for yourself one that is comfortable and one that has had proven customer service in the past is also important. I have heard alot of good about the CS at Excal and Tenpoint. IMO probably the top 2 XBows.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

To each his/her own. The need for speed is over rated my friends.[]Its true, all you need is good accuracy and know your CB and range. Miss Vixen will shoot an honest 269 fps with a 345 gr. total wt. carbon or alum. arrow, shot thru chrony. A CB must feel good in your hands and mounted up against shoulder. Its wt. and trigger must also feel good, comfort is everything! Mentally liking CB is very big plus! If you look at a CB and think its ugly[&o]then you have made up your mind before even shooting and trying the CB!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Notice the wt. and fps? those are target shooting arrows. I hunt with arrows 380 and heavier, they hit like the logs they are! Hard with deep penetration. I like my arrows to be able to break bones coming and going![:-]. Yup i am talking about shoulder blades and ribs behind them and out the other side!

Quick Reply: What IS the best crossbow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.