Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 excaliber exocet xbow............... >

excaliber exocet xbow...............

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

excaliber exocet xbow...............

Old 11-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default excaliber exocet xbow...............

due to brain surgery last august i've gotten my PA xbow permit already....i've got my mind set on this xbow as due to my homework i've donealready....who has this xbow and how has it held up fer ya....what do you shoot out of it carbon or alum....i know carbon is a bit lighter but i seen some bad things with carbon as to splinters, not in a mood to deal with them if ya know what i mean....lol....i'm not going fer super speed so alum should be fine fer me if i go that route....how's there trigger as to adjustablity and feel and can or is there a replacement for it....i think that should cover most of what i've been thinking bout fer now................bob

P.S....what's a good string fer this xbow as i just read bout one going on his fourth string this year due to experimenting....

Old 11-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: excaliber exocet xbow...............

1st nice bow,I have a VORTEX.
2nd we all have our own thoughts on carbon or alum,I like carbon..
3rd Get a string from Dnk aka Boo.....
Good luck....
Old 11-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

I have that bow, it is a perfect balance between speed and longevity. Fast enough to kill what ever you can see and not so much pressure on th4e limbs that you have to replace servings every twenty minutes. I did a whole lot of research before I made my choice from Excals line-up.
I agree with Ranger on the Boo string, the only maintenance an Excalibur needs is serving replacement, I am using one of Boos strings now that has hundreds of shots on it and it looks exactly like it did when it arrived in my mailbox.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

thx guys i guess i get an A+ fer doing my homework................bob

Old 11-19-2007, 04:05 PM

I have the Vortex also which is the same but has a thumb hole stock. It is a fine CB and I love it. I may be the guy you read about when you mentioned four strings. First string was fine that came with the CB. Had heard from the guys in here that the Danny miller strings where pretty good and I liked the way a Flemish string looked compared to a endless loop, some said Danny's strings where a little more accurate also, among other things, so I bought string number two. String three came in when Don started to make them and the good friend he was gave it to me to try and use for free! A great friend. String one and two are still fine at this point. Then I became tired of reading post about His strings with the cat whiskers served on and how people were loving them, so string four was in the mail! LOL!! Not defective, just me buying stuff I probably could have done without, but am always willing to play if it helps in the end, even a little. He is DNK on here or BOO on the Excal forum. Fine strings IMO!!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also shoot a Vortex, thumbhole version of yours. Aluminum arows are fine. Once they are bent they are basically worthless. Carbons are not only lighter but last longer. Don't fall for the splinters thing. Only one I ever saw that way was from hitting it in back with another arrow. The triggers on excal are not replaceable with any aftermarket version I'm aware of and are not adjustable. Be sure to test the one on the bow you'll be buying, they do vary. I shoot a flemish string. About 10-15 fps faster than factory sting that comes with bow. I make my own and serve my own so never counted no. of shots. I serve whenever serving shows wear and change string after 3-4 servings.
I shoot nearly every day throught the summer, then change strings and re sight for hunting season. That one lasts through the next summer and so on.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Spike

Good evening guys... don't want to hi-jack the thread here, but I just got my Exocet in the maid today. Left work early so I could set up, sight in and hopefully hunt tonight. Everything went together without a hitch, added the Lumizone scope. (I have the right stuff package) Started at 10 yards... first shot was dead center, high 4" inches. I'm smiling like a little kid... adjusted the scope down a few clicks, fired again.... I could go into details, but long story short, I'm not happy with the groups. (6-8"at 20yards) I threw an old red dot I had laying around, and it seemed a little better. 100 grain target points, for broadheads I'm using Thunderhead 100g. Could it be the scope? Anyone ever bought a Excalibur and not been happy withthegroups? I'veshot a lot of guns in my day...used to dabble in benchrest shooting, etcso maybe I'm expecting too much. I too did a lot of homework... $700 isn't gonna break me, but it's a lot of money with one income and 3 children, ya' know? I tell you, the DVD that came with it was great.. the owner that was on the DVD seems nice enough youd like to invite him to dinner... obviously as fast as his company is growing, he must be doing something right!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Happy Pappy, this issue is worthy of it's own thread. At 20 yards you should easily be able to keep dropping the arrow down the same hole. Fire up a thread and we will work it out, something is wrong and I would bet my last dollar that it will be easier than you think. There is no such thing as an Excalibur that does not shoot great.

Boo's strings.. I shot my deer this weekend at 3 yards eye level, it didn't even flinch at the sound, Wish I could say the same about me, I have been flinching ever since!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Spike

Pydpiper... OK, I started a thread about my groups. I hope your right about getting it worked out. These forums are great! So much info from others is bound to help some... thanks Pyd. Jeff
Old 11-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob1961: I shoot carbons only out of a Phoenix and an Emax, never had any splinter problems and have literally thousands of shots on some of them.
Alot of us prefer a slightly heavier [more foc] than stock Excal arrows. Hotburn named them "Millers Killers" as Danny Miller sells them. He's the USA warranty rep for Excal, great guy!! [740] 483-2312 Good luck!!