Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Quiet CBs

Old 10-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Quiet CBs

This has probably been discussed more than once but what in all of your opinions what manufacturer makes the quietest CB?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Quiet CBs

Theres not one that i know of or have read of.........
Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

I know that they are not very quiet but is there one that is sound dampening than others?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You can make a crossbow more quiet but you will never match the level of noise like a compound with silencing equipment/accessories. The recurves are easier to make more quiet than compounds.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:04 PM

They are giving you the facts. You will never come close enough to a compound on sound with all the limb savers in the world on any CB out there. It is one of the many draw backs of a CB. To much power in such a short stroke and the stockacts like a amp and speaker. There may be some that are slightly quieter then others, but know one has used it as a major selling point that can be validated. I had a top of the line Horton from a few years back all decked out with the limb saver pads and such and it still sounded just as loud as my fifteen years old Horton. If you get some info on a quite CB, let us know! LOL!!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:47 PM

I worried about this when I first got the Vixen. It's not quiet at all, it doesn't even have dissapator pads. I have now decided not to worry about it. I have seen many different gadgets to reduce noise, but even with those things attached, the decibel level is still high enough that a whitetail will have no trouble hearing it. Right now all I have on there is some rubber spiders and when I put on a new string, those will go as well. All that stuff adds weight and things for brush to snag.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

There is quiet then there is quieter. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/php...amp;highlight=
Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 AM

Thats it Don! I am sending you a PM!! LOL! Its a good one!
Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 AM

My Parker is Very Quiet The Parker from The Factory comes with Sims Limb savers & string Leeches I shot Mine & then A buddy of mine shot his ten point ! Mine was alot quieter Than his Go to to parker Website Take it easy
Old 10-31-2007, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

How to make a bow quiet ...............................

The answer is .................... Do not shoot it !

In all reality, the noise that the bow makes when shooting (any make, compound, recurve, longbow or crossbow) does not really matter. Before some of you get onto a soapbox to rip apart my statement, let me finish. Yes all bows will make noise with ccossbows being the loudest of them all (with recurve crossbows being the most quiet) and you can do things to quiet them some, but this is usually at the cost of arrow speed.

The trouble is, even if you make the bow totally quiet, you will not be able to quiet the arrow in flight. The arrow in flight is unbelievably loud, most times it is more loud then the firing of a crossbow. With this knowledge, I would not give up arrow speed to quiet the bow some (because it would not become quiet enough to matter to a deer's hearing). The faster you get the arrow to the point of impact, the less chance the animal will have to react before the arrow gets there.

Now a little more on why the crossbow sounds louder then most vertical bows. When you shoot the crossbow, the stock is against your cheek bone. When the bow is fired, it will viberate, because the stock is against your cheek, it wilkl transfer into your bone structure and dirrectly into your hearing (just like how your Dr's tunning fork works). The crossbows with wooden stocks will sound quieter because wood is a better dampener then the composit stocks. But again, the sound of the crossbow does not really matter but to only us humans, to a deer, sound is sound weither it is the bow being fired or the arrow in flight.

I would not worry about the sound from the bow.

Tom

Quick Reply: Quiet CBs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.