Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Need a small/kid sized crossbow >

Need a small/kid sized crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Need a small/kid sized crossbow

Old 10-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default Need a small/kid sized crossbow

Hey guys,

I spent last Saturday up in Chicagoland running the kids archery range at the US Sportsmen's Alliance Trailblazers program. Trailblazers takes Boy Scout groups from the inner-city and lets them explore the outdoor world and outdoor activities.

We have access to Mathews Genesis bows which work for most of these kids. However, we did have one young man that has adisability and is unable to hold up a regular bow. It's at least his second year at the event and he has a true winning attitude and with an instructor holding the bow, he can pull it back and shoot. It is difficult for him tho'.

I was talking with him and mentioned that if we had a crossbow, he could probably shoot it by himself. He seemed very interested in this idea.

So, for next year's event, I'd like to have a very lightweight crossbow available.

I'm not familiar with what is out there. Is there something like this available? Are they expensive?

I appreciate the help!
Old 10-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need a small/kid sized crossbow

Unfortunately none of the big companies make anything for our smaller friends, I have modified larger crossbows to fit my kid but always end up with minor fitting problems.
I am looking forward to see where this thread goes, a small bow at a couple hundred feet per second would be excellent!
Good luck!

David
Old 10-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really seems like a very reasonable request but I can't say I've ever heard of such a thing. If there is something out there I sure you will hear about it on this forum. I assume hunting speeds is not an issue.
What general poundage range ae you setting the compounds at??
Good luck and a great idea.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

how about an excalibur apex. Its 90 lb draw so it would be pretty easy to cock. Not sure how big it is though.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

here's a link to the Apex. I'd call Dan Miller at [740] 483-2312 to get a price and see about getting the stock shortened a tad. If anyone can do it, he can. May cut you some slack on price for your noble cause.
http://excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/listings.php?category_id=74
Old 10-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

I found something that may be better. A parker fireball. Its a youth crossbow. Not cheap though. The price on there is the msrp so It would be way cheaper if you look around. I have a feeling thats more than you were looking to spend. http://www.parkerbows.com/pb/2007/crossbows.html?action=detail&detailsku=1025
Old 10-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

I'll check out the links.

The Genesisbows are only 20lbs max. We're shooting at 10 yards. Speed is certainly not an issue. I am looking for a crossbow that is very light in actual weight too.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend recently bought a used (older) Barnett Wildcat. Its tiny for a 150lb recurve crossbow, I'm sure he could shoot it himself, but he would definitely need help cocking it.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

I'll check out the links.

The Genesisbows are only 20lbs max. We're shooting at 10 yards. Speed is certainly not an issue. I am looking for a crossbow that is very light in actual weight too.

Thanks!
Sounds like you might use one of the pistol crossbows, this one is cheap and looks like a kid could cock it and at 10yds it should be fairly accurate .

http://shopbig.com/K8025-Crossbow-Pistol-0805319302254/prices-html

Martin
Old 10-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Look at the Horton Steelforce 150#, with a rope cocker he might be able to cock it himself. Sportsman's Guide has them all the time for $99.

Quick Reply: Need a small/kid sized crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.