HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Horton legacy or excaliber exocet (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/202350-horton-legacy-excaliber-exocet.html)

ryeguy20 08-15-2007 12:21 PM

Horton legacy or excaliber exocet

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and wanted to know what you think. I was in the bow shop today to buy a excalibur but the owner was trying to get me to buy the new horton legacy. He told me that it is a much nicer, more adjustable bow and is better that the excalibur? What do you think?

10ptCrossbow 08-15-2007 01:36 PM

RE: Horton legacy or excaliber exocet

Between those 2, Excal. Don't rule out the TenPoint's either!

Dnk 08-15-2007 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: 10ptCrossbow

Between those 2, Excal. Don't rule out the TenPoint's either!
Randy is right on both accounts.

b_in_atl 08-15-2007 01:46 PM

I'm pretty new to crossbow hunting but this is my opinion.If you are looking to get a recurve crossbow you should get an Excalibur. Their reputation precedes themselves. I'm not saying the Horton Legacy isnt a good crossbow, but it is anew product for them.

Regardless of what anyone says, be sure to shoot both of them before you settle on one.

Good Luck!

Hotburn76 08-15-2007 02:00 PM

The Horton line is a new design for them this year, if you like being part of there learning curve then I would say go for it. I have had Horton's for a long time and love them both, but this year I went recurve design and bought a Excal vortex and love it. There is alot of Excal guys in here that only ever talk good and I am becoming one of them. Another guy is in the learning process with Horton's one here as well, I think it is scpatterson or something like that but his name is Chris. We all encouraged him to by the Horton and try it to give us feedback he had problems right off the bat with his, had defective string stoppers on it and they new it when they sold it to him. They are fixing it for him as they have top notch costumer service. Just with any one no matter how good they are or are not will have to make modifications to that until it is fine tuned, do you want to be a part of that. As much as I like Horton I will someday try and maybe buy that bow, but right now it is still to new for me IMO. Excal's design has a proven track record on the recurve design. What are you willing to try and help them learn or develop and not be pissed in the end?

smokepolehall 08-15-2007 07:24 PM

scpatterson bought a brand new Horton Legacy and it tore up the string in 4 shots! So i would in all honesty avoid them![:o]

ryeguy20 08-16-2007 05:37 AM

Thanks for all your opinons. I will also take a look at ten point. He said that I can try both the excalibur and the horton to see what I like. I will probably look at the excal. vortex also.

Thanks, Ryan

Cossack 08-16-2007 07:04 AM

If you're set on a recurve bow the Vortex is a fine blend of size and speed that works well for me. However no recurve will be as narrrow as the average compound. So, if you're hunting from tree stands or blinds that may be an issue. Try to shoot as many as you can and avoid buying on looks alone of what someone else shoots. Just like in firearms, a good trigger and stock fit are very important to x bow accuracy. You can only evaluate that by shooting the bow. Size, weight, balance and cocking effort are also factors worthy consideration.

ryeguy20 08-16-2007 09:58 AM

well I tried both the horton and the excalibur and I like the horton better. It has a better fit to me and is alot quiter. I was told that horton has fixed all there problems.. but I am thinking that a 37" wide bow maybe too wide for my tree stand so I may have to go with a horton hunter 175. I will have to go measure my stand.

Thanks

scpatterson 08-16-2007 07:10 PM

I can tell you this for sure..They havent fixed nothing. They sent me some new stoppers for my bow and they fly off when you shoot it. I cant get the bars that the stoppers are mounted to to stay in place. I have moved these things and tightened them as much as I can and nothing helps. Like you I thought the bow was really comfortable. I just got off the phone with bass pro (where i bought it) and they are not aware of the problem but I assure you they are now. DO NOT buy the Legacy. I havent shot that bow 25 times in 3 weeks and now I will probably have to either send it in or get something new 2 weeks before bow season.......