Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Target Question

Old 07-30-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Target Question

I might as well get all my newbie questions out today. Tried to search for it but couldnt find an answer.

Do you all have a backstop behind your bag target or block target in case by some chance you miss the target completely? I was thinking about plywood. Would that be a good or bad idea?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Target Question

I have seen plywood used, but here at home I don't use anything.. My targets are hanging on a chain link fence, the other side of the fence is my camper.
Last night I was trying some new arrows I made and my In-laws popped by, her eyes got huge and says "what if you miss?"
I have missed the target in my early days of shooting, tore an arrow up going into my shop door on one, the second was when I was leveling my scope, put a broadhead through a $60 aluminum level..
Yes, a backstop is a good idea, plywood would help decelerate the arrow but probably wont stop it completely.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My back-stop is my yard but I have yet to mis....CLUE...start close and work your way back.....
Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 PM

You have to evaluate the risk of lost arrows first. If you are just shooting field tips and don't mind hitting a few with the mower or finding them in the future then no. If you shoot in a town and your arrows can go into someone's yard then yes. If you are shooting B-Heads a back drop is a must IMO. A b-head laying in wait in the grass for a kid to fall on would be a shame. Most of the time for field tips I have nothing, I am pretty sure of the shot, but for B-heads it always a must, most of the time its just the barn siding.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point Jason...I live in the sticks,should also say if I lose a arrow(witch I have'nt in years except at long shots at 3-D shoots)I use my Bounty Hunter to find it....My son misses alot but we end up finding them with the detector,its funny how orange and yellow vains get lost in green/brown grass.....
You can also buy mesh to hang behind your target, the same stuff they use at indoor 3-D shoots......
Old 07-31-2007, 05:19 AM

I forgot I had some huge wooden pallets sitting in my basement. I went ahead and put them up next to fence for right now.

Does anyone have a place online where they buy paper targets to put on their block targets for practice? I've been looking for a deer vital paper target but havnt found one that will fit. If it's against forum rules to post the sites, if someone could pm me one I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

Not vitals but..

www.mytargets.com

Old 07-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up a yard of fabric that looks like a pair of red polka dot boxers. Pinned to a bag or tacked in the corner with roofing nails to a block it gives me 16 fresh spots to shoot at.
I will enjoy it more when I stop thinking I'm shooting some guy in the boxers but it will sure buy me a lot of extra target life. Of course I am just chucking field tips at them>>>>>>>>>>Whacke d