Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crisbow MK III

Old 04-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Crisbow MK III

Company name is Crisbow, model is MKIII, it belongs to my father in law and may very well be his stepping stone for entering the world of crossbows.
I have a photo of the bow, one of the limb tips for Don, and one of a view through the very cool scope. This thing is old. I am going to refurb it, it is a "Lefty" with a thumb-hole stock, I am going to convert it to a right, hopefully ambidextrous. The scope mount needs some attention and it could use a string.. My concern and reason for this post is the limb tips, they seem pretty fine, almost like the original string had some type of protection on it, like serving..

So here, feel free to give an opinion.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Crisbow MK III

Where was it made David? Do you know the poundage?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

From what I understand it is Austrailian made, and it weighs about 6 pounds.

I would guess around 120#, looks like the same era as my Daco (20 years), only this has a brass rail and a better thought out stirrup.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

From what I understand it is Austrailian made, and it weighs about 6 pounds.

I would guess around 120#, looks like the same era as my Daco (20 years), only this has a brass rail and a better thought out stirrup.
Crisbow MK IV

Pull 140 Ibs

minimum bolt

length 16

Old 04-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Thats a MK IV, looks significantly bigger. I can't find any info on the web..
Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

02-18-2007, 08:34 AM

Grifter
vbmenu_register("postmenu_1089786", true);

[/align]Bluh.
[/align]

[/align]

[/align]Member for: 745 days
[/align]Location: Halifax
[/align]Posts: 2,763
vCash: $971
Banked: $1030
[/align]
[/align][/align][/align]

.22 Rifle is a Winchester Model 490/Sears Roebuck 6C LR. With Scope.

Crossbow is a Crisbow MKIII
[/align]__________________
Bluh.
[/align]

Grifter
vbmenu_register("postmenu_1092199", true);
[/align]Bluh.[/align]
[/align]

Join Date: Mar 2005[/align]Member for: 745 days[/align]Location: Halifax[/align]Posts: 2,763
vCash: $971
Banked: $1030 [/align][/align][/align][/align]

Will part with everything for $600....EVERYTHING. Even throw in gun cases and some ammo.[/align]__________________
Bluh. [/align]

Old 04-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've read some unkind words on them, but not sure if they were model orientated. The three names that come to mind that would probably know about them in no particular order are: Dan Miller, Jim C on AT and Digger. Make that 4, Grumpy Tom seems well informed also.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Back in the day .... late 70's and early 80's ...... probually in the 80's .... memory is not actually that great to remember exact dates.

There was only really two quality crossbows the Astro Daco and then the Excalibur Relayer. All others were basicllay known as a waste of time. Dependability and accuracy just were not there with the others and after the Excalibur, even the Astro Daco was put way behind in proformance.

Actually Astro Daco made more then one crossbow. The two that I know a little about were 120 & 150 pound models. I can't remember the name of the 120lb model, the 150lb model was called the Scropion.

Your picture of the limb tip looks like what was available back then,just look the limbs over really good, looking for checking through the tips going the length of the limb and on the inside of the limb, that is on the part facing you (not away from you when shooting) behind the stock. The one piece limbs did have a problem in splitting off a chunk (had to explain but like a washer shapped piece off the width of the limb). Never use anything but DACRON STRINGS with these limbs or your limb would be ruined very quickly.

The picture of the scope looks close to what Horton put out for a crossbow scope (too many lines for me). Personally I think that your fater-in-law might not have as plesant a time using it as he would if he had a better quality bow. I can remember many hunters back then complaining about the crossbows back then that used the cheaper models. Just let him use your bow once in a while so he can see the difference in the two (so he knows what a quality bow can do) and he should do ok until he gets the better bow for himself.

From past history and memory, I could never recomend a crissbow to anyone, but since you already got it, in hand and you know alot about the quality of the newer bows, maybe you can get it working better. Becareful, if I rememberr, these bows did have a trigger that was needing to be alot bettter. I think Jim C had alot more knowledge on these bows.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Pydpipper, i got the same one, if i rember right these bows were made in Africa. I've had this thing for a few years and still have not shot it. What size arrows would help. Rich
Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys! The bow came in part of an estate sale, it would have sat forgotten behind the furnace if I didn't spend so much time talking about crossbows and the joys of archery hunting.
He is an avid hunter, President of his hunt club and an owner of more guns than I have ever known an individual to have. He will quickly learn it isn't quality and either give up the sport before he takes it on or pursue another crossbow model. I am hoping he shoots it a couple times and craves more, just like the rest of us.

I tried putting an arrow in it last night, the rail seems pretty short, also, the vanes went deep into the scope mount, so any arrows that I make for it will have to have the vanes down about 1.5 -2" farther down the shaft than what I am accustomed to. My AZEZ will not do that, so am am glad I didn't give my Blitz-alike away when I switched. I will enjoy doing the refurb regardless of whether the crossbow becomes a whitetail killer or not.

The limbs are not one piece, they are separate.

Thanks for the input again guys, hopefully this thing is an effective tool for recruiting a new member to our sport.

RWK, is it you I am speaking to about strings?

Quick Reply: Crisbow MK III

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.