Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 New to Crossbows >

New to Crossbows

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New to Crossbows

Old 01-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New to Crossbows

Ok here it goes.....I would like to know the top 5 crossbows for under 1000 bucks,or under 1500 set up.....
What should I look for in a crossbow and what makes one better then the other so I can get syarted on my nxt adventure...
Thanks.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to Crossbows

I guess I don't have to tell you what choices I made. Go and shoot all of them. The trigger is the most important to me. Forgiveness is the second most important to me(forgiveness to my screw ups). For hunting purposes they are all accurate enough to be sure. In my limited experience you have to choose which bow will serve your needs. Our respected Squirrelkilla is probably the most addicted arrow junkie but his bow hasn't put up with his punishment. I am an arrow junkie but not as bad. I think that if one is to shoot a few hundred arrows a month then I've made the right choice. On the other hand if you are going to shoot to hunt and otherwise just shoot to get ready to hunt then any decent bow will work. Excals are the best bow if you are going to shoot hundreds per month. Ten Points are fine machines but you may not need something that fancy but maybe you do. Hortons are great bows as are Great Lakes and the rest. Pick them up and check out how they feel in your hands and figure out for yourself which one has the best trigger. You've shot a rifle and you know how important balance and trigger qualities are so go and shoot them and figure it out yourself. I'll give you a head start. Start with the Excalibur Vixen the compare the rest to it.
I truly hope this helps. Hopefully the bow you pick will be around for as long as your wife.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Ranger I justPosted in another Thread to you! If you read it you will have more understanding of this statement I make here.

I have made my choice, Exocet!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks,I will keep it going for awhile and wright down what is important and start my quest into the world of crossbows.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you throw some web sites out here for mfg of said crossbows.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link to Excals 2007 line up. I've shot the Vixen and Exocet, own a Phoenix, Exomax, and a Paradox Excal compound made 2001 - 2004. I'm really impressed w/ the Ecet. Lemoyne is in the process of setting one up, you may want to keep an eye out for his posts/thoughts. If I could only have one xbow, the Ecet would be it.
http://excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/documents/content_334.pdf
Old 01-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Can you throw some web sites out here for mfg of said crossbows.
Barnett Crossbows

Bear Crossbow - Sports & Outdoors - Compare Prices, Reviews and ...

www.strykerxbow.com

Crossbows and Crossbow Accessories by TenPoint Crossbow Technologies

Horton MFG. :: Sport Hunting Crossbows, Arrows and Crossbow ...

Excalibur Crossbow

Hey, make sure you try and handle all makes before you buy!! What I like, you might not!

Ask questions about Bear and Barnett. There are some rumors of going out of business.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few are avilible in Fargo ND. so I will check them out.The closest I could see a Excalibur is Mitchell SD. The only time I go by there is on the way back from Sturgis and I quit going there in 96.Bummer.MN has no dealers.
Thanks for the Links...
Old 01-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Ranger, the first thing you need to do is figure out what you want in a crossbow. For me ist is simplistity. I recomend recurves for this reason.

There are advantages of the compound, but there are (IMO) too many disadvantages. Accuracy, dependability and durability are important, then go for the feel of it when you hold it in the shooting position.

About not having an Excalibur near to try, weell I have known many that have never held one when they ordered off the internet and loved it when it came. It is a very well ballanced bow and with the new thumb hole stock, it has a slightly shorter stock t fit the shorter armed people better.

Good luck ....... research and enjoy.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

A few are avilible in Fargo ND. so I will check them out.The closest I could see a Excalibur is Mitchell SD. The only time I go by there is on the way back from Sturgis and I quit going there in 96.Bummer.MN has no dealers.
Thanks for the Links...
Ranger, look above you! You haveProvinces in Canada just above you with Dealers.

Quick Reply: New to Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.