Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Parker Crossbows???? >

Parker Crossbows????

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Parker Crossbows????

Old 12-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Parker Crossbows????

Does anyone have a Parker crossbow or know anything about them? I have a very nice Parker compound bow as my top bow and trully love the entire set up and the workmanship is great. Never had a single problem with it and it fits like a glove in my hand, but I am wondering about the Parker crossbows.

I noticed the Parker crossbows have a feature that prevents "dry fires" by requiring a arrow to be present in order to fire. This sounds like a very nice feature, but what do you think about it.

I just returned a Barnett quad 400 b/c of string broke when shooting at a hog and I only had about 10 to 15 shots on it. It also would not keep a tight group at 20 yards. Anyway, I would like to get a Excaliber Phoenix, but I noticed on the picture that it looks like a "right hand" only xbow. I am left handed and wondering if it is really right handed or both handed?

If it is only right handed and if a left handed is not avaiable, then I am considering a Parker or 10 point. Anyway, thanks for any help you can give. I decided to do more research before I spend the money this time and if that means waiting a couple of months, so be it. Better do it right the 2nd time....LOL.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Parker Crossbows????

atcfisherman, reed2004 has a Parker and another member does to. The Excal Phoenix is either hand, has its safety in the back. Like cocking a Win. 30/30 but its easier. Doesn't have any dryfire on it. Its a great CB, i have one. So fer the only other CB i could afford that i would buy is the Ten Pt. Pro-Fusion. Now i would buy any Excal, but i was talking of the wheeled type. You should get some other advice shortly![]
Old 12-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

atc: Smoke already explained they are ambidexterous as most all I know of are. The difference between a Phoenix and the Quad 400 is like night and day, and I've shot both. Parkers have at least some models if not all, [dunno] that have a metal channel glued on a composite rail for the string to ride on. Some were coming loose. Also know they had a trigger issue awhile back and believe both problems have been worked out, they have a good rep service/warranty wise. They have a longer power stroke than alot of compounds, so they tend to be a little longer in over all lengththan most. A barebow Phoenix is for $349 is hard to beat. I bought my Quad 400 for all those fps for so little money, lol. Live and learn, eh??
Forgot to add, I like to be able to uncock my Excals w/ rope cocker, a dry fire inhibitor would make that alot harder. I'm also of the opinion that a recurve xbow is more apt to survive the dreaded dry fire than a compound is. It is supposed to only take one of those to smarten ya up, but some like me are gluttons for punishment, lol. Meaning: I've had more than one!
Old 12-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

excals are definately ambidexterous.the safety is conviently located on the tang. i'm a lefty so i really appreciate not having to hunt for the safety.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Spike

I have the Parker Terminator. The only thing that I don't like about it is the way the stock is. I think it's set up to try and keep the shooters fingers and thumb below the string. But when you are not the average shooter in arm length it feels like your hand is to close to your body. Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Thank guys, this is some good information that I was seeking. I really like my Parker compound bow and I figured their crossbows would be of the same quality and sounds like they are. But, in my heart of hearts, I am really leaning towards an Excal, mostly the Phoenix since y'all say it is ambidexterous. I have heard nothing but praise about the Excals and I like the idea of having a recurved so I can change the strings eaiser. Anyway, thanks for the great input. I am actually going to go to the Bass Pro Shop (about 1 hr drive) and check out both before I make my final decision. They have an indoor shooting range and I can test them then like I did when I purchased my Parker compound bow.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

atcfmn: have fun!! my nearest b-p is 5 hrs one way, went there this spring to meet Randy, aka 10 pt and play w/ their bows. I could spend days doing that!! The great thing about doing what you're gonna is that you always know you got what fit you the best, regardless of the name on the side!! Let us know what you think!