Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 TOP TEN CROSSBOW RULES >

TOP TEN CROSSBOW RULES

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

TOP TEN CROSSBOW RULES

Old 05-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TOP TEN CROSSBOW RULES

Jeeze Louize!! Didn't you guys read Randy's post a few weeks back about the guy that contacted 10 PT. all wound [pun intended] up because he tore the stitches out of his finger by having it above the rail when he shot?? And, how did he get the stitches?? You guessed er Lester, he did it earlier and had to get stitches from the first episode. Classic canidate for the Darwin Awards! Like Danny Miller says in Excal video/DVD, "It will feel good when it quits hurting"
Old 05-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

and another great saying by dan!

you guessed er leter! hahahaha
Old 05-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: takedownfreak123

yeah keep your hand away from the string. People have lost there fingers
Dan, I was wondering if a crossbow could acutally remove a finger?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

YES, BUT IT IS ONLY ACCURATE OUT TO FORTY YARDS!!!!!!!
THE END OF YOUR THUMB, I MEAN.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

DoeGirl - Once you have climbed into your treestand or blind, the you put your arrow into your crossbow, making sure it is firmly seated to avoid "dry-fire" results.
Technically, if you are stalking or still hunting, you crossbow can be cocked, but your arrow should be in the bow or hip quiver and not placed in the crossbow until you are ready to shoot. At that point in time, it "should be firmly seated to prevent dry-fire results".

Everyone - A lot of folks disagree with this rule and claim that when stalking or still hunting you should have an arrow in your bow. Any time you are walking with an exposed broadhead in a cocked bow, your are playing with fire. You can stand in the front of an on-coming semi too, but the results could be kind of ugly. Not for the one standing, of course because they would have automatically moved on the next level at the point of impact.

These are safety rules. If you want to be absolutely safe, you would do well to follow them. Not do so, is to put you and the others you hunt with at risk. And as with anything else in life, the final choice is yours. If you believe, for whatever reason, that you don't have to do so, then you place those you hunt with and yourself in danger. Bottom line is the choice is yours. Do what you gotta do, but at least you have been informed of what the safe and correct procedure is.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DJH -------

Everyone - A lot of folks disagree with this rule and claim that when stalking or still hunting you should have an arrow in your bow. Any time you are walking with an exposed broadhead in a cocked bow, your are playing with fire. You can stand in the front of an on-coming semi too, but the results could be kind of ugly. Not for the one standing, of course because they would have automatically moved on the next level at the point of impact.

I have often wondered about this. Glad you brought it up. A very good rule to abide by!Thanks for bringing it up.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Spike

will guys ,i was ready to go out and get a crossbow this week but all this talk of losing fingers i might just shoot my sw460 mag
Old 11-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: waynemorgan

will guys ,i was ready to go out and get a crossbow this week but all this talk of losing fingers i might just shoot my sw460 mag
WM: Gotta love those S&W's. I think what's being discussed here is akin to a revolver shooter using a two hand grip, but placeing the second hand around the frame/cylinder. Generally speaking, that good idea is also only good for one shot!! Xbows are like any other weapon in the regards that one does have to use a modicum of common sense. Get ya one and have fun!!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Spike

thanks, i am looking to do more hunting soon and a xbow is the only bow i could shoot and i will need a cocking aid also .other thin that i dont know much about them ,i like the recurve bows but am not sure.
i will be hunting from the ground of some type
i need to get to a proshop soon to check it out ,i just like to know more so i dont fall for some of there bs..
Old 12-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DJH -------

"
*Never carry a cocked crossbow with an arrow in it while walking."

Why? I do this all the time, so I need to know.

Quick Reply: TOP TEN CROSSBOW RULES

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.