Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow

Old 01-25-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Crossbow

I have used a Barnette Revolution for the past 4 years because of a back and elbow injury. I didn't take any further shots than I would have taken with a compound. Crossbows were legalized in VA for 2005. It was amazing how many people quit teasing me about using a crossbow once that happened, and purchased on theirselves. There are disadvantages and advantages to both, and both take time and skill to harvest a deer.

I purchased an excalibur at the end of last season, and I can't wait to use it next season.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crossbow

But wich one do you like better a crossbow or bow?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:08 PM

I like a crossbow better. I was a gun hunter first, so I like the feel of the crossbow in my hands. It is a little bulky in a tree stand though!
Old 01-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

howhigh do you put your stand? have you killed a deer with you crossbow?how far do you think? what would be the farthest you would kill a deer with your crossbow?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:46 PM

I usually get between 15 and 18 feet in the tree. I don't believe in being so high that the deer look like ants. I have killed about 10 deer with my crossbow. The furthest was at 48 yards but I only took that shot because I was excited because it was my first opportunity with my crossbow. I wouldn't shoot much past 35 yards now. The further they are away, the more opportunity you have for error, ie. twig, deer jump the string, etc.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

emilybrown11
I had been out of archery since December 1982, when I shattered my left elbow and was forbidden to every draw a bow again do to the damage that had been done and that which could leave me with a fuzed elbow. when Massachusetts finally changed its crossbow law to allow the physically handicapped hunter to use it, I got back a season I though I'd never see again in my life time. Yes, I do have people who look down their noses at me because I do no use a vertical bow but then, most of them are not real archers in the since they use either a long bow or a recurved bow. To me a compound is a mechanical bow - period. Nevertheless, they all are archer and we all are in the woods or filed enjoying the using of our personally selected archery choice. Enjoy and have a fun safe time using it.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Youns live in the wrong state I have yet to have anyone give me a hard time for using a crossbow , I was just approved to use a crossbow in Illinois and all the the hunters just call me a lucky dog for getting approved to use it and ask me what injuries that I have that got me approved..