Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer Roast?

Old 03-19-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Deer Roast?

Ok folks, I need help.

The wife wants me to cook a deer hind quarter she has thawing out. Any recipes that don't involve the crockpot or using italian dressing? The weather man is calling for rain all day tomorrow so the BBQ grill is out.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Roast?

Cook it like a pot roast, Brown on all sides and simmer in some beef broth with onions, salt and pepper , when it starts to get tender throw in some carrots and potatoes.

Or slice it up into cutlets and pound thin like veal parmigan, freeze some of the leftovers into family size meals.

Cut some steaks and re freeze them, make stew with the rest.

Make any of the above and grind the rest into burger or meatloaf or meatballs.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:27 PM

I don't think that it would work for a roast that large but McCormick spice company has those roasting bags that come with seasoning and you just add the meat, carrots, potatoes and onions to the bag and then bake it. It's definitily the lazy way but it turns out really well for the smaller roasts. When its done I usually take the meat out and make gravy out of the drippings. Usually I have to take it out sooner then what the instructions call for probably because of the lack of fat on the deer.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

try slow braising it with root vegetables (spuds, carrots, parsnips, celery, onions). 225 degrees, covered roaster pan, half inch of liquid in the bottom with vegetables, and your choice of seasonings. rub roast with garlic cloves, and then put 4-6 in the liquid. slow roast covered until tender (bout four hours for 2 lb roast), braising every half hour. add liquid as it evaporates
Old 03-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

What boysda said only use a pkg of onion soup mix in the water, pour all over the roast , leaving most of the onion bits on the roast. I did the same thing tonight on a sirloin roast(venison).......ain`t nothin left Make a gravy out of the liquid.

Ron
Old 03-23-2005, 11:08 AM

I had a venison pot roast last night. I spiced the roast with garlic powder and lemon pepper. I browned the meat in bacon grease (1 Tsp), threw in some sliced onions. Covered and cooked low for 1.75 hours and threw in some carrots under the roast. Cooked for 20 mins and threw in some spuds under the roast. Cooked until the spuds were soft. I am eating leftovers in 10 mins. I can eat this once a week and not get tired of it. Notice, I didn't braise it because the veggies and meat have enough moisture. The au jus is excellent. The roots soak up some of the jus and take on the flavor.

Dr Fatguy
Old 03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

WHAT NO CROCK POT!!! ARE YOU CRAZY!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the replys.
I ended up putting it in a roaster pan lined in foil that had a layer of onions and green,red,yellow peppers on the bottom. I season the roast then dumped a bottle of BBQ sauce over it to coat, then added a layer onions & peppers on top. Layed a few strips of bacon over the whole mess than sealed it in foil. Put the roaster lid on and popped it in a 280 degree oven for 6hrs.

It came out moist and tender. Wife liked it, I think I had to many peppers. Anyone try a BBQ dry rub/ wet rub roast?

TF- Don't get excited, The crockpot gets used during the week while we're at work.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Cut it up into to stew meat and place in crock-pot with some water,
potatoes,onions ,green peppers,celery,carrots,sweet peas, a little
olive oil and a pinch of cajun spice.Cook for about 3hrs........Good Stew!
Old 04-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do most of my wild game roasts in the crock pot. I then take the juice and left over meat and start my veggie stew.

Quick Reply: Deer Roast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.