Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

how long in the freezer

Old 02-20-2002, 05:51 PM
Spike

Default how long in the freezer

how long do you guys keep game for, personnely it never last long at my house but i found acouple links in the back that are about a yr long, do you think its been sitting to long
Old 02-20-2002, 06:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2002, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how long in the freezer

I would agree, I'd still eat it. Usually you can see freezer burn even after it's thawed. Just cut it off. Not the same as fresh, but who can eat a whole deer at one sitting. As for sausage or any ground meat, I try to leave it in 1 or 2 pound chunks until time to use. Then grind accordingly. I've found it keeps better than if ground when killed. We usually use our's up by March or April, but do have less disirable cuts left til summer. You would be amazed at what sauces will cover. I would try it. You have nothing to lose. Good Luck. Capt Brad.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Always take it all to work for everybody before the next season comes in. They will know it is old but will eat it anyhow. Not the best but can tell it is aging.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:17 AM

If wrapped properly you can freeze venison for a couple of years. If it is vacumm sealed you wont get the freezer burn or pick up any off odors from the freezer. Game birds
should be eaten within 3 to 6 months as they are more susceptible to having bacteria contamination.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

WHEN I CUT UP ME DEER I WRAPP IT SO THAT IT WILL BE AIR TIGHT AND IT WILL LAST A WHILE. NOT THAT IT LAST THAT LONG BUT IF YOU WRAP IT UP IN PLASTIC WRAP FIRST AND MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD SEAL, THEN WRAP IT IN BUTCHER PAPER, IT WILL LAST A WHILE. AND NO FREEZER BURN.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:01 PM

I put enough venison in the freezer to last me from one season to the next, I would rather have some left over than to run out and have to go buy beef. I double wrap mine in the waxed, white freezer paper, and have eaten some that got "lost" in the freezer that was over two years old. Any freezer burn can be cut off, if there is too much, or if it's too old, you can tell by the smell. It's not a bad smell, just smells old, and will taste the same way.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:53 PM
Host of Hosts

I would eat it after a year, if properly wrapped, no problem.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:13 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-28-2002, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I double wrap mine in freezer paper, I squeeze every bit of air I can get out of it out, and then wrap it a second time. I have had some for over a year and as long as I wrapped it right it has been fine. Murf the freezing in water thing I do with fish, it works great as long as you make sure they are totally covered with water, I would imagine as you said that would work well also for deer.

The Tazman

Quick Reply: how long in the freezer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.