Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Does venison taste good deep fried? >

Does venison taste good deep fried?

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Does venison taste good deep fried?

Old 12-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Does venison taste good deep fried?

I searched on the topic for the past year and see nothing on it except the recent "wings" post. I would like to try that out if it would come out ok, but I never heard of deep frying venison...
Old 12-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does venison taste good deep fried?

One of my favorites is to cut cherry sized pieces, dipping in batter and deep frying as an horsderve. I can't make them fast enough. Although I am looking for a different type of batter. I also am going to try to make it like southern fried chicken, if I can get the correct batter. By coating and deep frying, it sears the meat ,cooks it quick and doesn't dry it out. I love it.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:55 PM

Never tried it but now I'm curious....
Old 12-24-2003, 01:25 PM

Instead of constantly searching to see if it's good, why don't you just cut some up and try it. Be the judge, and if it's good, tell everyone here!
Old 12-25-2003, 11:33 AM

It is very delicious. That is one of the main ways i cook any venison is deep frying it. Everyone loves it. It is good served with ranch or blue cheese dressing as a dip. I use several different store bought breaders but any chicken breader will work. I heat my oil to 350 degrees and cook them until they float. Once the float they are done.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Host of Hosts

I will have to try that this year
Old 12-25-2003, 06:29 PM

Here is a simple recipe. I take the backstrap and slice it about 3/8 to one half inch thick. Dip it into a bowl of egg & milk mixed. Then drop it into a bag with flour and Cavender's Greek Seasoning and Garlic Salt and shake it until it is covered. Drop the battered slices into hot oil for a couple of minutes. Don't overcook it. I like to add about a tablespoon of corn meal to the flour mix for texture, but that's personal prefference.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:02 PM

yah, it is good, i just cut it into chunks and then deep fat fry and then sprinkle some garlic salt , and or any other seasoning i feel will taste good and then dip it in ketchup. we call it chislic here.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm making them on Thursday for the Gator Bowl. I will let you all know how it goes. I got a batter recipe that includes seasoned salt and Old Bay and flour, etc. 350 until they float, got it! I will experiment with Franks and the dressing dip and report back to you.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're rooting for the 'eers over them dang turtes, aren't ya Doug? (I'm a WVU grad...LOL)

Quick Reply: Does venison taste good deep fried?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.