Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Smoked Deer....

Old 10-19-2017, 11:56 PM
Spike

Default Smoked Deer....

Been thinking of taking a flank roast and treating it as a brisket, just wondering if anyone else has smoked / low and slow some deer......anything other than the ribs....
Old 10-22-2017, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

I've never messed with the ribs out of a deer. I just add it to the sausage meat. As far as smoking I have taken hams into my processor and had them smoked and they are awesome. I also love to take the loins and backstraps out and put them in my smoker at home. I keep the hole and run them until about 135 degrees then take them out. Just did this last night with the last of a doe I shot last years. It is always a camp favorite.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have my butcher make Dried venison which is smoked, think dried beef but better out the hams. Then I have it thinly sliced and put into half lb vacuum packs. My wife would much rather have the venison than the beef and so would I. The best creamed dried venison, think dried beef over biscuits or raw fried potatoes you ever tasted.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Spike

I just see that one roast and it just reminds me of a brisket. Next deer I think I'm going to smoke that and try making some bologna. Just got the casings for that.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

How about smoking a full front quarter? I hate cleaning them and this would save a ton of time if I could find a good recipe
Old 11-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know how that would turn out. There is a lot of connective tissue in the front shoulder. We use them for vegetable soup and PA Dutch Bot Boi (pot pie), not to be mistaken for the meat pies with crust that a lot of folks call pot pie.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

I cured and smoked a deer shoulder and goose breast as a test.

The deer was good and I am going to do it again this year with curing but might go for juicy and honey glazed.

The goose was fabulous and the best way I have every tasted goose. I did them all now and sliced them up.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used to have a guy who was a custom smoker, I had a bunch of whole geese and ducks smoked one year, he put them in mesh bags like hams. I froze them and thawed them one at a time when I wanted a good snack. They were delicious, just put them in the oven at 200 degrees and a while then get them out put them on a plate with some good cheese, some beer and a sharp knife. The only one I ever had that wasn't delicious was a Shovler, it was really bad.