Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Turkey Brines?

Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey Brines?

So, going to smoke this years gobbler on my Memphis elite grill, it has been fantastic, I see most brines for turkey call for salt, worcestershire sauce, water, garlic, brown sugar, and water and maybe an onion....anyone have any secret brines they would care to share?
Old 05-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

2 things--- # 1 Use Teriyaki marinade in stead of worchestershire sauce----you will love it # 2 I have now smoked at least a dozen store bought turkeys and now I never brine--have not found the need to with store bought turkeys, p.S. I will never roast another, smoked only in my house---- Now wild turkey is another matter, I have yet to make one that I enjoy smoked too dry and tough
Old 05-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

thanks...I will have to see if I have any teriyaki sauce...I picked up some Morton's tender salt for toughness, I am hoping it was a glorified "yard bird"....it's crop was full of alfalfa heads, I know wild birds are a lot different then the ones you buy at the store, but what the heck, might as well give it a go, you never know unless you try.....I am thinking of using molasses instead of brown sugar, I have did that with pork brines before and it is pretty good.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Give it a go and let me know how it turned out, I would like to know, always learning
Old 05-18-2017, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Well, it was not worth doing, let us just say that....I thought it might be really good, but was quite the opposite. First bad meal I have made on the Memphis grill....oh well, live and learn they say...I am not a big turkey hunter, but there were getting to be so many turkey's they were making a mess of things this winter, thought I would eliminate at least one...lol.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

slow cooker is about the only way to go with wild birds and a lot of time
Old 05-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Gotcha......maybe with gravy....lots of gravy..LOL
Old 06-23-2017, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Breast the next wild bird. Grill the breasts like chicken. Make turkey salad or soup with the leftover meat.

I brine my store birds in salt water then fry.