Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

How long does Jerky keep?

Old 10-28-2003, 03:54 PM

Default How long does Jerky keep?

How long does the jerky keep(Plastic bag in fridge or room temp)? Do you need to add any cure to the mix?

Thanks for your help,
UpNorth
Old 10-28-2003, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How long does Jerky keep?

I keep mine in a paper bag at room temp. As long as its thoroughly dry and the humidity is low it should keep for a couple weeks. But its usually gone by then.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:20 PM

Using a cure will allow you to keep you jerky stored for a good while. The exact time frame I am not sure but I have made very large batches that kept for almost two months without going bad. If a cure is not used it should be stored in the refrig unless you have a ton of salt in it. Either way be sure it is well sealed in a jar or zip lock bag.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:39 PM
POC

I only get deer meat once a year from a friend who hunts. I make deer jerky and freeze it with an extra bit of either Worchestershire sauce or a barbeque, depending on which batch is which. It will keep in the freezer for about 7 months. With the extra liquid, you can heat it in the oven for a couple of hours at 200-225 degrees and it tastes fresh.

POC
Old 11-01-2003, 03:23 AM

I had some I made and my wife put it in the freeze and we found it a little over a year later.tasted just as good as if it was fresh.I did have it vacumed.
I make it each year and vacume and give to friends for gifts.I put it in pint bags,so it goes father.
if not vacumed it will last for 3 or 4 mo. if sealed in zip bags.(if you have prepaired and cooked it right).........usually it doesn' t last that long.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:21 AM
Fork Horn

mine lasts about 2 weeks unless i hide it!!
Relly if you vac pac it and frezee it it' ll last long past next season.......but never had any to to prove it..........
Old 11-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Yup, never had any last long enough to test haw long it stays good but the advice above seems sound.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as it didn' t grow legs and walk away I' ll eat it. I took a couple pounds to Colorado elk hunting last year and found some about a month ago in my back pack. Tasted like it was fresh out of my dehydrater. (although my wife thought I was nuts). I just can' t bring myself to throw out beef jerkey. I just make sure I dehydrate it very well, place it in ziplock bags and toss it in the fridge. It lasts a long time for me.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:52 PM

Never had it last long enough to worry about it.
Last year I jerked a whole deer it lasted about long enough for the next batch to dry.