Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Snow geese...are there any good ways to fix them? >

Snow geese...are there any good ways to fix them?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Snow geese...are there any good ways to fix them?

Old 03-29-2017, 03:32 AM
Spike

Default Snow geese...are there any good ways to fix them?

I'm looking for suggestions on the best ways to fix snow goose. I usually just mix the breast meat in with venison or pork and make jerky. I'd like to expand my horizons, if there are any ways to do that with these birds...Thanks
Old 03-29-2017, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Save the legs and thighs. They make great soup. If you harvest enough, grind the meat for burgers or meat sauces and don`t forget stir-fries. Pluck and roast some. Pepperoni.

Ron
Old 03-30-2017, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Most domestic goose, turkey and duck recipes work.

Just keep in mind wild goose may be tougher than a domestic fowl. Steaming them for a bit can produce a more tender bird.

Al
Old 06-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brine the meat before cooking it. Snow goose can be good eating. Still not as good as a Speck, but better than a lot of folks say.
There's good brine recipes all over the internet. Pick one.

1. Rub brined meat with black pepper, garlic powder, sea salt and ground cumin.
2. Sear/blacken in butter over high heat.
3. Let rest for 10-15mins then slice.

This goes great with glass of red wine, Malbec, Torrontes, or Pais.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm partial to roast Goose. Done low and slow in the oven it was DELICIOUS.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:36 AM
Spike

Here in louisiana we cook them in a gumbo.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

At our game dinner we cook the breasts and make goose salad, everyone raves over it..
Old 11-09-2017, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

Looked at my post on the "smoked deer" post. curing goose makes it taste so much better.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I don't make jerky out of mine I place the breast in a slow cooker with bar-b-que sauce and cook it for about 6 hours. Sliced thin and drizzled with the pan drippings its good.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:34 PM
Spike

I have never eaten snow goose but suspect that wild pheasant offers similar challenges. Here is a recipe I use to make Green Chili Pheasant Soup that would probably turn out well with a snow goose instead of a pheasant.

1/2 white onion, diced
carrots, crosscut - one handful
celery, crosscut - one handful
1 pheasant
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 box of chicken broth
1 can Rotel
1 small can of green chilis
1/2 can of white beans
1/2 can of corn (if desired)

I use a pressure cooker to make this but you can just cook it in a regular pot, though I don't know how long you will have to cook it. Cut the breasts off the pheasant, and remove the thighs. Cut the meat into 1/2 inch (bitesize) pieces. Sometimes, I will keep a few strips of the breast separate, coat them in Italian breadcrumbs, and fry them alone (great for kids). Put a bit of oil and a little butter in the pressure cooker and brown the onions. Then put the meat into the pot to sear it. Add carrots, celery, chicken broth, Rotel, green chilis, white beans. (and corn). Bring pressure cooker to pressure and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let the pressure cooker cool for a natural release. You can serve it with tortilla strips and sprinkle it with cheese if you want. Some may want to thicken the soup with a bit of flour, but I like it with clear broth. I'd guess that stovetop in a soup pan, you'd just cook it until the carrots were tender.

Later, I normally score the drumsticks and put the remaining carcass into the pressure cooker to boil it down and capture the broth for future use.

Good luck!