Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Interested in recipes for duck

Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default Interested in recipes for duck

I am looking for how people prepare duck. I have done the traditional crockpot with a cream of something soup method, but I was wondering what other ideas were out there?

Thanks!

http://huntingandcooking.com
Old 01-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

For late season Mallards and Black ducks with a lot of fat under the skin that are old enough not to have a lot of pin feathers and pick clean I pluck and remove the breast halves with a fillet knife. I make them the same way I make domestic duck, sear them. Take the breast halves and score the skin with a very sharp knife in a criss cross pattern, salt and lightly pepper them and put them in a cold skillet, skin side down and sear on a medium heat. Sear skin side down until the skin becomes crisp and the fat renders out into the pan. When you see the color change along side of the breast half way up, flip them over and give them a few more minutes. remove from the heat and pit on a warm plate and cover with foil for 10 to 15 minutes to rest. It should be medium rare when served. Duck gets tough when over cooked, and many peole over cook it and than do like it. I make a cranberry and orange sauce to serve with the duck. I simply put 100 percent cranberry juice into a small pot and add some orange juice and some honey and and reduce until I get the flavor I like, I then add a tiny pinch of salt. If you want more body to your sauce you can dissolve some corn starch in some cranberry juice and add it to the sauce and it will tighten it up. To plate I put a little sauce on the plate, put the breat half on top skin side up and drizzle a little sauce over it. I serve it with twice baked potatoes made with sour cream and chives.

An easy way to make duck is to skin the breast, fillet the halves off the breast bone and cut them in strips about 3/4 to 1 inch wide and marinate them in Zesty Italian salad dressing for a couple of hours. Then remove them from the marinade, drain and put on a grill, turning once until they are medium rare, I never saw anyone who didnt like duck made that way.

My wife used to make Chesapeake Bar-B-Q duck which was delicious, if I can find the recipe, I will post it for you.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Roast duck with orange and ginger.

5- to 6-pound duck
recipe Ingredient"
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon 5-spice powder, preferably homemade
1 large orange, zested and cut into 6 wedges
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon grated garlic For the glaze
  • 2 cups orange juice
  • 1 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons Demerara sugar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 2-inch piece of ginger, thickly sliced
  • 3 star anise
Preparation
  1. Rinse duck and pat dry. Remove neck and giblets and save for another purpose. Remove excess fat from cavity and tail area and trim off a bit of flappy neck skin. Prick duck skin all over with tip of sharp paring knife, making sure not to penetrate meat.
  2. Mix together salt and 5-spice powder. Season interior of duck with 1 tablespoon salt mixture; use remainder to generously season exterior (you may have a little left over). Combine orange zest with grated ginger and garlic, then smear mixture inside cavity. Place orange wedges in cavity. Tie legs together. Secure neck flap with wooden skewer or toothpicks. Place duck on rack in roasting pan breast-side-up and refrigerate overnight, uncovered.
  3. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, bring duck to room temperature and make the glaze: Bring orange juice, honey, sugar and soy sauce to a simmer. Add sliced ginger and star anise, then reduce mixture until you have a medium-thick syrup, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
  4. Roast duck for 2 hours, carefully pouring off fat and turning duck over every 30 minutes. Paint with glaze and roast another 30 minutes (2 1/2 hours in all). Tent with foil if glaze begins to get too dark. Duck is done when temperature at thickest part of leg reads 165 degrees. Paint duck once more, keep warm and let rest 20 minutes. Use poultry shears to cut into quarters (remove backbone first) or carve in the traditional way, removing legs from carcass and slicing breast.
Easy roast duck.

1 4- to 5-pound duck
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup soy sauce, more or less
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove giblets and neck from duck cavity and discard or reserve for another use. Cut off excess fat from duck cavity.
  2. Place duck, breast side down (wings up), on a rack in a roasting pan; add water to come just below the rack. Sprinkle duck with pepper and brush with a little soy sauce.
  3. Roast 30 minutes, undisturbed. Prick the back all over with point of a sharp knife, then flip bird onto its back. Sprinkle with pepper and brush with soy sauce again. Add a little more water to the pan if the juices are spattering (carefully--you don't want to get water on the duck).
  4. Roast 20 minutes, then prick the breast all over , and brush with soy sauce. Roast 10 minutes; brush with soy sauce. Roast 5 or 10 minutes more if necessary, or until duck is a glorious brown all over and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh measures at least 155 degrees. Let rest 5 minutes before carving and serving.

Duck wontons with cilantro line dressing

4-6 duck breasts chopped 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce 1 tablespoon soy sauce 1 teaspoon ginger 1/2 lime zest 1 garlic clove 1/4 cup cilantro 1 green onion 10-14 water chestnuts 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Dressing:
2 tablespoons rice vinegar 1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons chopped cilantro 1/2 lime zest

DIRECTIONS
  1. Marinate duck in teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cilantro, green onion and lime zest for an hour.
  2. Add duck to a food processor along with water chestnuts and pulse a few times to blend ingredients into a minced meat mixture.
  3. Place 1 teaspoon of duck mixture just above the center of the wonton wrapper. Moisten the edge with a little egg yolk and seal forming a triangle. Bring the two side points up and over the filling and pinch the ends together. Repeat until done.
  4. Fill a large pan with water and bring to a low boil or simmer on the stove. Gently drop wontons into water bath for 3-4 minutes or until wontons float to the top. Remove duck wontons with slotted spoon, drain in a colander and set aside. Repeat until all wontons are cooked.
Plate the duck wontons and drizzle the cilantro lime dressing. Add a garnish of chopped green onion and a little red chili flakes for some heat.

Most recipes for domestic duck works for wild duck.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 01-17-2017 at 03:34 AM.